Too many deer

Bucaramus

Is it possible? I have sat and watched 10 bucks, albeit all small in the same field and then have multiple deer on all 5 of our other cams at one time. Last week I had an 8, a 6, a 5, 2 spikes, 2 confirmed button heads and 3 that I would assume were buttons as well all on a clover field at one time. If I was betting I'd say at any given time we may have 40-50 deer at a time on 130 acres. And most of the neighboring properties are horse farms and they don't hunt at all. We all hunt other places so we don't shoot a lot here. But I have a feeling we should. Our mature bucks can pretty much never leave their hidey hole as I'm sure they don't have to go far at all to breed some does.

Buford_Dawg

Sounds like you have a terrific population... I like to see deer myself at each hunt, so I like a high population. But what you describe you may need to thin a few out. Nice problem to have IMO.

Bucaramus

Sounds like you have a terrific population... I like to see deer myself at each hunt, so I like a high population. But what you describe you may need to thin a few out. Nice problem to have IMO.
I love seeing them too. I had some hard times years ago where I may only see 1 or 2 in a whole year. And they got shot! I know now that back then I was part of the problem. But now on this farm we are over ran. I've only been skunked there once in 6 years. But it's getting out of control now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I love seeing them too. I had some hard times years ago where I may only see 1 or 2 in a whole year. And they got shot! I know now that back then I was part of the problem. But now on this farm we are over ran. I've only been skunked there once in 6 years. But it's getting out of control now.
Put some of those fat young bucks in the freezer. If you don't want to burn a tag on one, invite a youngun to hunt with you.

transfixer

Well, a square mile consists of 640 acres, and the state biologists tell us that 45-50 deer per square mile is too many, beyond the carrying capacity of the land ? so if you have that many consistently on 130 acres I would say you have too many ,

That isn't to say that I believe the biologists recommendations, as I know when Oglethorpe county averaged 40-50 deer per square mile the deer were all healthy, not lacking for food and were not under nourished, and this was all before baiting became legal

But that many on 130 acres sounds like way too many to me

Bucaramus

I wouldn't say that we're beyond the carrying capacity. We had a bumper crop of acorns and I'd say 60 acres of ours is mainly hardwoods. Plus they are tearing up the clover plots we planted. I'd venture to say we are pulling deer from most neighboring properties for the food. We usually kill a really good buck every year and we have a stud there this year but he just doesn't have to venture out any. My guess is that he's a 135" 8 point. Seen him once from the stand but he hung back in the thicket.

Bucaramus

Put some of those fat young bucks in the freezer. If you don't want to burn a tag on one, invite a youngun to hunt with you.
The problem is that we would prefer that the up and comers don't get shot. Shoot a spike or we have a couple of jacked up 5 and 6 points but leave the yearling 8 point alone. Folks just don't seem to be able to abide by your requests. I do have a guy that's coming to shoot a couple soon. Does or small bucks.

transfixer

As Nicodemus has mentioned, a browse line, where they've eaten the greenery up to as far as they can reach, is a sign there are too many, also by this time of year, and into January, if you see the bark on a lot of small softwood trees, being eaten, then you probably have too many, they'll eat the bark off the trunk and small limbs they can reach when they run out of acorns and other preferred foods

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good risk for an outbreak of EHD or something.

Long Cut

You need to shoot does. A trail camera survey would tell You exactly how many, but I’d wager you could kill 5-10 does this season and still be overpopulated next year.

Only killing mature bucks, but not killing does is comparable to working out but only eating McDonalds. You’re not getting the maximum benefit because the animals are severely malnourished.

Dupree

I’d shoot some does and lesser antlered bucks from some of the different age classes.
(Shoot some spikes, but leave the 1.5yr old 6 points alone. Shoot some 2 yr old 6 points, but let the 8’s go)

Geestring

Bucaramus, we have a similar problem. We hunt 450 acres and really only shoot what we deem as trophy bucks for our area. I think it’s somewhat counterproductive bc we intentionally let mature bucks walk if they don’t have the rack we desire. We let these deer go and they are left to breed and spread their genetics. Now I know we as hunters cannot really manipulate the genetics in our area bc there are too many variables when you factor in the doe genetics (which we know nothing about) all we can see is the bucks body and head gear. Anyway , a few years ago we started charging $75 a weekend for a visitor to help us thin does after Thanksgiving . They can shoot as many as they want and can shoot a buck after they shoot some does BUT it has to be one they’ll mount. We did that to prevent a visitor from shooting a young 3 year old we’ve been letting walk all season. So far no visitor has even shot a buck and they do help us thin the does . Hope this helps…

Bucaramus

You need to shoot does. A trail camera survey would tell You exactly how many, but I’d wager you could kill 5-10 does this season and still be overpopulated next year.

Only killing mature bucks, but not killing does is comparable to working out but only eating McDonalds. You’re not getting the maximum benefit because the animals are severely malnourished.
I can assure you that they aren't severely malnourished. Actually pretty healthy, But still too many.