Custom Fishing Rods

gb1194

There’s a guy in Blue Ridge that makes custom rods. He even hosts a workshop where he will teach you how to make your own. It looks pricey but I don’t know how much. I believe the name is Oyster. Good luck on your search.

sbroadwell

Thanks for the mention, Nick. I was going to send something but never did.
I made and sold custom rods for about 15 years, sold almost 1500 in that time. A good many of them were sold to people here at the GON forum.

I took a hiatus a couple of years ago for a couple of reasons. Main reason is my regular work got a lot busier, and I found myself taking vacation just to catch up on rods. There really ain't much money in it unless you get big and contract Chinese companies to build for you, and that is exactly what I did not want to do.

The other reason is that we are redoing a good bit of our house, and my workshop area got piled up with so much crap that I can barely wrap a guide now. I'm thinking about having a big 30 x 50 outbuilding put up. If I do, I will again have room, and can also get into reel repair and reloading. But, until then, or until I retire, I am not building for the moment.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I make rods for myself and family's personal use.
Like stated above, I can't imagine being able to make a lot of money at it.
It's time consuming, especially if you thread wrap instead of using shrink tube.
I average $100+ in blanks and material per rod.

sbroadwell

I make rods for myself and family's personal use.
Like stated above, I can't imagine being able to make a lot of money at it.
It's time consuming, especially if you thread wrap instead of using shrink tube.
I average $100+ in blanks and material per rod.
My goodness! I couldn’t even imagine shrink wrapping a guide on. That ain’t right at all. Does anybody do that?
You can save a little bit of money rolling your own, but really only if you get wholesale prices on components. Main thing though, you can custom tailor grip length and shape, guide train, etc.
I’m a big fan of spiral wrapped rods, and you will never find one of those in a store.

Robust Redhorse

Unless there is not a factory rod on the market that doesn't do exactly what you want, I would not go with a custom rod unless you DIY.

At one time, options were limited. Now, almost everything conceivable is available.

I know a few rod builders, but you will definitely pay more.

If you are fine with that, PM me.

notnksnemor

My goodness! I couldn’t even imagine shrink wrapping a guide on. That ain’t right at all. Does anybody do that?
You can save a little bit of money rolling your own, but really only if you get wholesale prices on components. Main thing though, you can custom tailor grip length and shape, guide train, etc.
I’m a big fan of spiral wrapped rods, and you will never find one of those in a store.
I've never used shrink wrap but know some that have used it instead of thread and Flex-coat it just like thread.

Oh, they are chronically lazy people too. :bounce:

sbroadwell

They must be lazy. At one time I was on all the rodbuidling boards, went to the shows, new pretty much all the big players (Bill Batson, Gary Loomis, the chief engineer of St. Croix) and I never heard of such a thing.
It really is pretty easy to learn how to wrap guides. I taught myself from a little bit of info from the old Jancraft - there was no Mudhole around then. I started with a shoebox with notches cut in it, and a telephone book for tension. I then built a simple stand to hold the rod, and after awhile graduated to a powered rod lathe. It is not hard, and actually fun.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
They must be lazy. At one time I was on all the rodbuidling boards, went to the shows, new pretty much all the big players (Bill Batson, Gary Loomis, the chief engineer of St. Croix) and I never heard of such a thing.
It really is pretty easy to learn how to wrap guides. I taught myself from a little bit of info from the old Jancraft - there was no Mudhole around then. I started with a shoebox with notches cut in it, and a telephone book for tension. I then built a simple stand to hold the rod, and after awhile graduated to a powered rod lathe. It is not hard, and actually fun.
Got 2 rods my "Uncle" Tommy Padget made for me back in the early 80's using the same rig.

sbroadwell

If someone wanted to make their own rod it's easy. I wouldn't necessary go for one of the kits, as you can certainly get a better guide train if you know what you're doing. But if you have no clue, a kit is ok.
And there are so many premade handles available these days that make it easy. Of course, the right way is to glue cork rings together, maybe with a little burl cork, and shape it on a lathe. But, that requires some equipment.

BeefMaster

I suggest making your own as well. It's time consuming but extremely rewarding. I've made several fly rods and have never regretted the time involved. I used wood for the handles and that difference has been a conversation starter when you run into like minded folks out fishing. If I can manage to put together a decent, functional rod, anyone can.

notnksnemor

It's very rewarding.
I don't do any fancy wrapping. Just cork handles and single color thread.
I prefer tape wrapped and epoxied for filling the reel seats. It seems to be a more solid fit.
I made 2 bottom fishing rods from Gorilla Glass blanks and those things will pull up a Volkswagen.