Custom Handmade Knives by the late great Game & Fish Director, Jack Crockford

NWS

Jack Crockford, former Director of GA Game & Fish, was responsible for helping to restore our state with deer years ago. He restocked many areas with Wisconsin and Texas deer creating some great genetics for big antlers which we enjoy today. He also made some beautiful muzzleloaders and knives. Jack was a family friend and made several knives for my father and I. Here are some pics. EnjoyDC8525BB-D7DB-4153-AC9E-5495B46728AB.jpegDC8525BB-D7DB-4153-AC9E-5495B46728AB.jpegA855BB1B-F5C0-47E5-BBC4-73038D51AEA1.jpegD5212DDF-341A-48BD-8B24-FA07AE80C227.jpeg6340D592-D271-4412-BAD4-2BA118F3EE87.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Those are some beauties. And priceless.

NWS

Every time I get one out and put it in my hand I seem to love it and admire it even more

walkinboss01

Great looking knives.

godogs57

Jack was a great ambassador for Georgia deer hunting. My dad was pretty high up with the US Forest Service and worked a good bit with Jack on properties here in GA. Always held him in high regard.

Jack lived just a few houses up from a cute girl that eventually became my wife.

NWS

Neat stories lots of good memories. Jack grew up as a Michigan farm kid. After Jack’s pilot service in World War II he finished his degree in wildlife biology at Michigan State University. The legendary Charlie Elliott hired Jack and assigned him to help with the deer restoration project. Charlie asked Jack “What makes you think that what you learned about Yankee whitetails can be applied to our Cracker Deer? Jack replied “No matter what their politics are they’ve all got four legs and appetite and enemies and these require about the same kind of treatment anywhere.” I am reading that out of a November 1978 outdoors in Georgia magazine.

NWS

See pics. A good read. From “Outdoors in GA”, Nov 1978. For the mods: No need to worry about copyright/ protected material. DNR encouraged reprinting of articles. They encouraged that credit be given though

Attachments

• 226B74B8-5A88-4538-8215-4145B3A1B8B3.jpeg
    226B74B8-5A88-4538-8215-4145B3A1B8B3.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 12
  • 6A118BD3-4317-4A09-AB76-C26C0FDAD9C7.jpeg
    6A118BD3-4317-4A09-AB76-C26C0FDAD9C7.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 13
  • C27FB6B1-ADDB-49A8-8C22-BB06980CB13E.jpeg
    C27FB6B1-ADDB-49A8-8C22-BB06980CB13E.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 55A5E434-03EF-48AC-BE15-712AAE6A70A9.jpeg
    55A5E434-03EF-48AC-BE15-712AAE6A70A9.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 12
  • C6590208-07AA-4E48-9C60-4F2557E52343.jpeg
    C6590208-07AA-4E48-9C60-4F2557E52343.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 12

FootLongDawg

Wonder if Jack Crawford ever dreamed his work would result in a population of over a million whitetails we are fortunate to have in Georgia today? As a long time deer hunter in Ga., I consider him a hero of mine. Didnt mean to highjack the thread of the beautiful knives, but anytime his name is brought up, I feel I need to give him a big shout out.

Reactions: NWS

NWS

Wonder if Jack Crawford ever dreamed his work would result in a population of over a million whitetails we are fortunate to have in Georgia today? As a long time deer hunter in Ga., I consider him a hero of mine. Didnt mean to highjack the thread of the beautiful knives, but anytime his name is brought up, I feel I need to give him a big shout out.
You didn’t hijack anything. Any background or stories about Jack is great!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
As soon as I spotted his name I had to come see this thread.

I read all about Jack Crockford back in the mid 80's when I moved back here from Louisiana and then a short stint in Tennessee.

I didn't know that he was a knife maker. It was mostly all about the whitetail restoration that I read. Great looking knives with a heckuva History, Thanks for posting.

turkeykirk

Great looking knives. Thanks for the remembrances of Mr. Crockford.

NWS

Jack liked to do folding knives and smaller drop point style hunting knives with 2 piece handles. I asked Jack if he could make a copy of the Randall Model 19 Bushmaster with finger grips. His rendition is in the upper left corner pic. Knife to the right of that is a very early Crockford with Ivory Micarta. My Dad got that from Dick Kennedy at the Gunroom in Smyrna. Just below that the 3 knives are Jack’s copy of Randall’s Model 12 LittleBear Bowie. 2 have one piece handle and the one in the middle has a 2 piece handle. The one in the middle has some engraving and was presented to my Dad in a neat wooden display case. The ivory handled folder is warthog ivory from a kill Jack found when he went on Safari on Africa. The 2 knives next to the ivory folder have Honduran Rosewood my Dad gave him. Dad got the wood from his violin maker friend. The knife with the brown handle in the photo above the folders has a Cocobolo handle. Jack said the dust from sanding the wood almost did him in. He had a bad allergic reaction and said that’s the last Cocobolo he would ever make. Sorry for the long winded thread. Just wanted to add a little story behind the knives.

dank1296

See pics. A good read. From “Outdoors in GA”, Nov 1978. For the mods: No need to worry about copyright/ protected material. DNR encouraged reprinting of articles. They encouraged that credit be given though
I Have that exact magazine not many left im afraid

Anvil Head

Some great info and memories there. Mr. Jack made a few guest lectures at the request of one of my favorite profs at UGA, Dr. Provost. Was fortunate to be present at two of them while working on my Wildlife Biology major there.
Mr. Jack also attended a few of my early Trackrock Hammer-ins, while he could still get around fairly well. Quite a gentleman and sharp as a tack, always a good visit with him.

NWS

I Have that exact magazine not many left im afraid
Before the DNR publication “Outdoors in Georgia” was created the official DNR publication was called “Georgia Game & Fish”. My all time favorite magazine cover of those publications and probably any outdoor magazine ever was the cover of the November 1970 issue of “Georgia Game & Fish”. It showed a walking little basket rack 6 or 8 pointer prancing by broadside at close range. It was an awesome photograph and captured the adventure of GA deer hunting. At that time the Georgia deer herd was expanding after the stockings of the 1960s and hunters were catching the deer hunting fever. Places like green county jasper county Monroe County Jones County were the hotspots and many tent camps were set up in the forest. Many hunters had visions of exactly what is on the November 1970 cover and putting a buck on the meat pole. Just an awesome cover. Jack Crockford is the reason we have a lot of great GA deer hunting memories.0D7AFA15-60A8-4475-9280-286A4A2110A1.jpeg0D7AFA15-60A8-4475-9280-286A4A2110A1.jpeg

Last edited:

dank1296

Before the DNR publication “Outdoors in Georgia” was created the official DNR publication was called “Georgia Game & Fish”. My all time favorite magazine cover of those publications and probably any outdoor magazine ever was the cover of the November 1970 issue of “Georgia Game & Fish”. It showed a walking little basket rack 6 or 8 pointer prancing by broadside at close range. It was an awesome photograph and captured the adventure of GA deer hunting. At that time the Georgia deer herd was expanding after the stockings of the 1960s and hunters were catching the deer hunting fever. Places like green county jasper county Monroe County Jones County were the hotspots and many tent camps were set up in the forest. Many hunters had visions of exactly what is on the November 1970 cover and putting a buck on the meat pole. Just an awesome cover. Jack Crockford is the reason we have a lot of great GA deer hunting memories.
Got these from long deceased family friend Bob Nelson who lived off Pilgim Mill Rd In Cumming.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 7