Dead bird

Jimmypop

A little while ago I came upon this big bird grave yard dead at the base of a power pole near my shooting house. A few years ago I saw the same kind of bird light on another pole nearby and a few minutes later fall straight down. When I left I went by and it was lying on its back just like this one. I believe its some kind of hawk.

Attachments

• IMG_20210210_145636271_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210210_145636271_HDR.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 192

treemanjohn

Banned
Theyre figuring out a way of touching a neutral and a hot leg at the same time. I use to see it a lot on top of transformers. Squirrels will get on top and a hawk would dive bomb killing them both

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a hen Cooper`s hawk. It came in contact with a hot primary.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Seen it happen several times here at my place on a transformer, and it's LOUUUUUUD.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Over at Floyd's, there have been occasions when doves were too thick on an old two wire system bordering dove fields and the lines would sag and touch killing more than a handful of doves.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
If I had a dollar for every transformer fuse I had to replace, or line fuse, because of birds, squirrels, or coons, I`d be a rich man.

Wait a minute, I did get paid, usually overtime too.

Evidenced from what I’ve seen right here I could only imagine. What made it worse neighbors barn and my house were the only thing on that transformer and it wasn’t on the side of the road. It was up inside the property on the property line. Best access was through my yard actually. They could’ve walked up from the main road, but I would just always get them to just come on to my driveway off of another road. The line ran along the property line of mine and a neighbor, but it originated maybe 150 yds from the main road it ran along through our two properties.

Birds loved that pole on a hill. It got regular enough that they knew just to come on around to my street and pull into my driveway. :bounce:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
A lot of places out west they have a T-bar mounted on top of the pole. Gives the eagles and hawks a place to sit above the wires. It seems golden eagles were very prone to touching both sides.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I had a dollar for every transformer fuse I had to replace, or line fuse, because of birds, squirrels, or coons, I`d be a rich man.

Wait a minute, I did get paid, usually overtime too.
I saw a coon get into a big substation near where I work and shorted out power to a good section of town.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve extinguished a lot of squirrels and a few birds over the years. They seem to love utility poles and transformers.