Deer Hunting/Coffee Drinking Tip!

frankwright

This is just too good not to share.
We all see tips and how to's online and on TV and for me most do not work.
Like many I have a metal travel mug I fill for the trip to my hunting land. I also have a small metal thermos that has to be 30 years old. I love that thermos around 8 or 9am on a cold morning in the woods.

The inside of both was nasty as heck. Solid brown! I tried several things, dishwasher, baking Soda and vinegar and just getting a scrubbing pad down inside but nothing worked.

I found something the other day and it is near miracle.

Drop a dishwasher soap pod inside, brand doesn't matter, and fill with boiling water. Let it sit for an hour or so and pour it out and rinse.
My cup and thermos look brand new inside and ready to go again.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This is just too good not to share.
We all see tips and how to's online and on TV and for me most do not work.
Like many I have a metal travel mug I fill for the trip to my hunting land. I also have a small metal thermos that has to be 30 years old. I love that thermos around 8 or 9am on a cold morning in the woods.

The inside of both was nasty as heck. Solid brown! I tried several things, dishwasher, baking Soda and vinegar and just getting a scrubbing pad down inside but nothing worked.

I found something the other day and it is near miracle.

Drop a dishwasher soap pod inside, brand doesn't matter, and fill with boiling water. Let it sit for an hour or so and pour it out and rinse.
My cup and thermos look brand new inside and ready to go again.

Thx Frank. I may try this in my thermos with a little liquid detergent.

Toliver

I'm not a coffee drinker but I've seen die hards get genuinely mad over someone washing their coffee vessels. I thought it was like seasoning cast iron, you just get it where you want it and leave it alone. Of course coffee is for grown ups so I never touch the stuff. Maybe that's why I just don't understand it.... :bounce:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm not a coffee drinker but I've seen die hards get genuinely mad over someone washing their coffee vessels. I thought it was like seasoning cast iron, you just get it where you want it and leave it alone. Of course coffee is for grown ups so I never touch the stuff. Maybe that's why I just don't understand it.... :bounce:
That's me you're talking about. I never wash my coffee mugs, regardless of what they're made of. My wife learned early on in our marriage to never wash my cast iron or my coffee mug. I used to have a stainless mug that was absolutely black inside. I think you could probably pour hot water into it and it would turn to coffee.

Tight Lines

Great idea! Another variant on that from my fast food restaurant days...put a scoop of any granular dishwashing detergent in it...fill it about 1/4 full of ice cubes (not crushed) and shake well for 30 seconds...then fill with hot water and let sit for a few minutes, pour out, rinse out...basically an old school version of your version before we had pods...

specialk

no no no, leave it black, gives it character....patina if you will.....adds to the flaver!!!...........lol.....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Been dealing with nasty coffee containers for a long time and Bleach is king! But seriously, Frank, your not supposed to clean your personal mug, ever! :bounce:

Deerhead

Years ago I over saw a food service operation. One day I looked into the coffee maker and was disgusted. It was filthy and caked with old decaying coffee/crud.... He argued with me not wanting to clean. Lets just say he kept it clean from that day forward. Thanks for the tip of dishwasher pods!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's me you're talking about. I never wash my coffee mugs, regardless of what they're made of. My wife learned early on in our marriage to never wash my cast iron or my coffee mug. I used to have a stainless mug that was absolutely black inside. I think you could probably pour hot water into it and it would turn to coffee.
I have a Stanley metal thermos I use every day that hasn't been "cleaned" since I bought it 30 years ago. It gets rinsed out every evening. Ditto with my Bubba mug. My wife "cleaned" my old Stanley travel mug once with bleach, and it took two months for the coffee to get to tasting right again. I'll pass on the dishwasher pod flavor. :)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I usually rinse my thermos out and get the crud ring out, but never seem to wash my cups. Saw this meme and remembered my cup. This cup is old enough that it had the 1 before the 770 for a long distance inner GA call.

Although after all those years of building up coffee flavor my cup disappeared :(

Screenshot_20230416_075945_Instagram (1).jpg2020-07-26.jpg

Grunt-n-bleat

Well i read this yesterday evening. Figured i owed it to my Stanley thermos. I peered down into it last night prior to cleansing. It was as black as Satans heart.
I dropped one of those dishwashing cubes into it, and filled her up to the brim and let her soak overnight.
This morning at 5:30 AM, i poured out a liquid that looked like burnt motor oil.
Rinsed and shaked 5-6 times and all that coffee residue built up on the sides, flaked out.
Finally, i had to courage to fill her up and bring her to work.
Coffee has a clean taste to it, and my teeth are whiter than ever. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, my advice, dont worry about what it looks like on the inside anymore. Worry more about that flavoring you have to get used to after ya clean it.

In other words, i wont be doing that again! lol