Diamondback.

Ihunt

I don't think Diamonbacks give dry bites, everyone is loaded.

True but a lot of snakes will not give you the juice when they bite. That’s what they mean by dry bite.

My wife got bit about 20 years ago by a timber rattler. She was rushed to the ER. After about a couple of hours, they realized it was a dry bite, gave her a tetanus shot, and sent her away. The reason they watched her so long is the bite was in a butt cheek. Bites in fatty tissue can take longer to show problems. Had it been in the leg/arm they would have known almost immediately.

As a joke, I tell her the swelling never went down. Funny thing, everyone else laughs at my little joke. She does not. Wonder why? Lol

Capt Quirk

True but a lot of snakes will not give you the juice when they bite. That’s what they mean by dry bite.

My wife got bit about 20 years ago by a timber rattler. She was rushed to the ER. After about a couple of hours, they realized it was a dry bite, gave her a tetanus shot, and sent her away. The reason they watched her so long is the bite was in a butt cheek. Bites in fatty tissue can take longer to show problems. Had it been in the leg/arm they would have known almost immediately.

As a joke, I tell her the swelling never went down. Funny thing, everyone else laughs at my little joke. She does not. Wonder why? Lol
Timber Rattlers are NOT Diamondbacks. A Timber Rattler won't seem to want to strike at anything, and they may not inject venom if they do bite. That is a "dry bite".

Diamondbacks don't play, every bite seems to envenomate.. As far as I know, Timber Rattlers are the only snake to give a dry bite. Anybody want to help there?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Timber Rattlers are NOT Diamondbacks. A Timber Rattler won't seem to want to strike at anything, and they may not inject venom if they do bite. That is a "dry bite".

Diamondbacks don't play, every bite seems to envenomate.. As far as I know, Timber Rattlers are the only snake to give a dry bite. Anybody want to help there?

Friend of mine got a dry bite from a 3 foot diamondback. All of them can give a dry bite, but I`ve never heard of a coral snake giving a dry bite.

Ihunt

Did

Where did I say a Timber rattler was a Diamondback?

Didn’t I say the same thing about The Juice?

Any snake has the option to make it a dry bite.

Capt Quirk

Did

Where did I say a Timber rattler was a Diamondback?

Didn’t I say the same thing about The Juice?

Any snake has the option to make it a dry bite.
Sorry, my mistake. I thought Timbers were unique, since I never heard of any other species not injecting venom.

Geno67

I've had several dry bites from the same small cottonmouth. I caught him thinking he was just an ornery water snake. I was very easy with him and he bit the snot out of me four or five times and all were dry. I bled very slightly from each fang mark. Two perfect fang marks on each bite.