Disclosure of use of AI in commercials

jdgator

AI-generated speech and graphic representations of people are so realistic that many people do not realize they are not observing a human. This is problematic for vulnerable groups such as children and senior citizens.

I am of the opinion that companies using AI to communicate with the public should be forced to disclose their use of the AI and how it is specifically being used.

For instance, a video ad featuring an AI-generated actor should be required to verbally and textually disclose that neither the likeness nor voice are real prior to the commercial.

In another example, an AI chatbot that provides telephone-based customer support should be forced to disclose that the caller is not talking to a human prior to providing customer support.

I think the FTC could easily extend its truth-in-advertising laws cover AI. I think something like this could maintain public trust without impairing commerce. Thoughts?

sinclair1

I guess but it should be common knowledge that real people commercials are full of lies that people are paid to say. What’s the difference really?

Jdmb123

Elon said we needed to unplug some servers and no one listened to him. For many it won’t be long and they will not be able to distinguish the difference in human and computer.

sinclair1

I heard on the radio that Bon Jovi is open to doing a holographic concert tour.

jdgator

The harm is in the distortion of reality. Persons who lack the ability to discern between real and artificial actors could be manipulated into actions that they would not otherwise take.

-An AI representation of a respected historical figure to pitch life insurance.

-An AI actress with literally flawless skin selling cosmetics to impressionable teenage girls.

-An AI child actor performing a dangerous maneuver while pitching a bicycle to children.

sinclair1

The harm is in the distortion of reality. Persons who lack the ability to discern between real and artificial actors could be manipulated into actions that they would not otherwise take.

-An AI representation of a respected historical figure to pitch life insurance.

-An AI actress with literally flawless skin selling cosmetics to impressionable teenage girls.

-An AI child actor performing a dangerous maneuver while pitching a bicycle to children.
I hear what you’re saying, I just feel we have been there for 20 years. The influencers have been brain washing people to think they need to splurge $5k on a Taylor Swift concert ticket or that we need 5k Jordan shoes. The dumb have been falling for consumerism for quite some time.

I am surprised people fall for it. I mean do they think Ice T really has car shield on a 1986 beater Tahoe.

Liberty

The people falling for this are the same ones that have Star Wars as a religion. I’m old, but to be mindful of language, cow patties are cow patties.

sinclair1

I would strap a VR headset on well before wasting time watching the superbowl. People that are consumed by watching others live while wearing the teams jersey are exactly the same as the geek in mommas basement with a VR headset.

Last edited:

sinclair1

I am having to deal with AI at work. Seems we want to lead the way in business use. I may be a bit argumentative to follow a AI process

slow motion

AI-generated speech and graphic representations of people are so realistic that many people do not realize they are not observing a human. This is problematic for vulnerable groups such as children and senior citizens.

I am of the opinion that companies using AI to communicate with the public should be forced to disclose their use of the AI and how it is specifically being used.

For instance, a video ad featuring an AI-generated actor should be required to verbally and textually disclose that neither the likeness nor voice are real prior to the commercial.

In another example, an AI chatbot that provides telephone-based customer support should be forced to disclose that the caller is not talking to a human prior to providing customer support.

I think the FTC could easily extend its truth-in-advertising laws cover AI. I think something like this could maintain public trust without impairing commerce. Thoughts?
I think what you're referring to is CGI, computer generated imaging, not Artificial intelligence. Not my field of expertise but AI is for interaction with a human. It makes choices though still just following programming. That said it no doubt still makes better choices than me.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
AI is an automated decision tree, no more, no less. Most of the AI produced stuff that folks think is AI has been happening for years.

1714563283104.png

jdgator

I think what you're referring to is CGI, computer generated imaging, not Artificial intelligence. Not my field of expertise but AI is for interaction with a human. It makes choices though still just following programming. That said it no doubt still makes better choices than me.

The AI is outputting CGI. lol.

By AI I am referring to the large language models that are capable of interacting with humans generating text, speech, and graphic output.

LLMs have democratized the process of rendering computer generated text, speech, and images. Time and expertise are no longer required.

The lay person can ask an LLM to produce a photo quality image of Napoleon drinking a Budweiser after losing at Waterloo. The large model looks at hundreds of pictures of Napoleon and then produces lifelike output.

jdgator

The reason this all came up for me is because my industry’s tradeshow circuit starts up in two months and I wanted to refresh our marketing materials.

The marketing company’s account rep was trying to impress me with their AI-derived content. While I was impressed, I was concerned too.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Once you resolve that nearly everything you read, see, and hear in the news and in ads is an exaggeration, taken out of context, omits important facts, or is an outright lie, it doesn't matter what AI does because you've got your mind right.

Liberty

Once you resolve that nearly everything you read, see, and hear in the news and in ads is an exaggeration, taken out of context, omits important facts, or is an outright lie, it doesn't matter what AI does because you've got your mind right.
The Rooster is smarter than the sheep!

sbroadwell

This is really going to be something to worry about in the future. Now you can take a single face photo of someone, and a short recording of their voice, and make a video of them that you really almost can't tell is not real. And the technology is getting better all the time.
Just imagine in the near future a politician can do this to his competitor, and make a video of the person saying or doing something horrible. You won't even be able to believe your own eyes.