DNR update 2021 Georgia fishing regs

lampern

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/fishing/game-species-daily-limits/

See table on Finfish Seasons, Sizes, Limits for other species that may be found in freshwater

So for those asking if the size limits and bag limits for finfish listed in the table in the saltwater applies also to freshwater, yes they do.

And because that includes freshwater eels, freshwater eels are game fish and may only be taken by hook and line if you read the regulations

Game Fish
Fish that are listed under Daily Limits
(see Game Species Daily Limits and Finfish Seasons, Limits, Sizes).

In Georgia It Is Unlawful To:

• Fish for game fish, except American shad, hickory shad, channel catfish, blue catfish, or flathead catfish, by any means other than pole and line.

Except that under state law fish species listed in the finfish table are not game fish except red drum and striped bass.

So I'm not sure why the DNR is claiming fish such as eels are game fish. They are not.

Last edited:

lampern

This was in reference to whether you could legally keep eels under 9 inches as bait in freshwater.

The DNR addressed the issue in the 2021 regs as I posted

lampern

I also submit the 2021 regulations are wrong when it comes to dip and cast nets.

I submit state law allows the taking of any legal nongame fish with dip and cast nets.

The regulations claim only blueback herring, gizzard and threadfin shads are legal.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Its always been a little confusing about "non" game fish and the cast net.

sasmojoe

I also submit the 2021 regulations are wrong when it comes to dip and cast nets.

I submit state law allows the taking of any legal nongame fish with dip and cast nets.

The regulations claim only blueback herring, gizzard and threadfin shads are legal.
You are wrong!

Old Yapper

Why is it so hard to just make the Regs understandable?
Because the actual people who write them are the "elite" college graduates, who've been trained to speak in gobbledy gook.facepalm:

lampern

You are wrong!

How so?

The problem with the DNR regs digest is it doesn’t align with the laws in several areas.

The DNR was forced to update the regs digest to say you could take bait fish 5 inches in length with a bait seine, just like the law has allowed for years

State law allows nongame fish to be taken with a cast net, including minnows not just shads.

How hard is it to make the regs book align with what the law says?

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Can you "site" the law that pertains to the taking of non-game fish with cast net?

lampern

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Code section, dip nets and cast nets may be used to take for bait threadfin shad, blueback herring, gizzard shad, and other nongame fish as authorized by the board; and landing nets may be used to land fish legally caught.

Last edited:

lampern

(36) "Game fish" means the following fish, except domestic fish as provided in paragraph (23) of this Code section:
  • (A) Bass:
    • (i) Largemouth bass;
    • (ii) Smallmouth bass;
    • (iii) White bass;
    • (iv) Striped bass;
    • (v) Spotted bass;
    • (vi) Redeye (Coosa) bass;
    • (vii) Striped-white bass hybrid;
    • (viii) Shoal bass (Flint River smallmouth); and
    • (ix) Suwannee bass;
  • (B) Trout:
    • (i) Rainbow trout;
    • (ii) Brown trout; and
    • (iii) Brook trout;
  • (C) Crappie:
    • (i) White crappie; and
    • (ii) Black crappie;
  • (D) Shad:
    • (i) American shad; and
    • (ii) Hickory shad;
  • (E) Sunfish or bream:
    • (i) Flier;
    • (ii) Spotted sunfish (stumpknockers);
    • (iii) Rockbass (goggleye);
    • (iv) Shadow bass;
    • (v) Redbreast sunfish;
    • (vi) Redear sunfish;
    • (vii) Bluegill (bream); and
    • (viii) Warmouth;
  • (F) Perch:
    • (i) Walleye; and
    • (ii) Sauger;
  • (G) Pickerel:
    • (i) Chain pickerel;
    • (ii) Grass pickerel; and
    • (iii) Redfin pickerel;
  • (H) Catfish:
    • (i) Channel catfish; and
    • (ii) Flathead catfish; and
  • (I) Red drum.
46) "Nongame fish" means any fish not included within the definition of the term "game fish" in this Code section and is synonymous with the term "rough fish."

Spooner

1-Under Georgia law can you fish with live trout you've caught (not bought- no receipt) in waters not designated at trout waters?
2- Same question as above except using trout as bait (for example for Striper) in waters designated as trout waters?
3- Under Ga law can you fish with live game fish (bass or carp) just like using live bream, live american & hickory shad?