Dog breed recommendations

TAS

My Golden Retriever is a joy to hunt with and one of the most people friendly dogs I know.

Bigearl68

I think the OP had his mind basically made up when he posted the first time and was just looking for moral support.
If you want a lab then get a lab but don’t be surprised or mad when that dog says enough and quits on you in 90 degree heat.
**** my Drahthaar doesn’t have nearly the undercoat of a lab and if don’t keep her in the shade she gets to hot.

jdgator

I love Boykins.
I’ve got an English Coker that is a great pet and hunter. He’s an inside dog but when he hits the field it’s game on. SPOILED

Its down to an English Cocker or a Boykin for me. I am looking for a small dove & wood duck retriever.

tucker80

I own a lab, GSP and a Boykin. For doves, it's the Boykin hands down.
I love all of my dogs, they're all above and beyond most folks expectations.
But that Boykin is something special.
Retrieves land or water, flushes quail, herds up goats and lays down inside. Her first waterfowl retrieve was 2 big Canada geese we knocked down one morning She's smart and loyal beyond belief. Aims to please and has no quit!

FOLES55

EC all day!!

Dove, ducks, quails, squirrels and even geese as long as their floating!

Plus they are phenomenal inside family dogs.

jdgator

EC all day!!

Dove, ducks, quails, squirrels and even geese as long as their floating!

Plus they are phenomenal inside family dogs.

Do you happen to know of any EC breeders/trainers? I would prefer to buy a finished hunter (when I am ready to get one).

FOLES55

Do you happen to know of any EC breeders/trainers? I would prefer to buy a finished hunter (when I am ready to get one).
Breeder, yes but not a finished dog in GA

There loads of fun to train and easier than you think to train with a little time and dedication. Plus the bond built while doing it can’t be beat.

The breed itself are natural hunters/retrievers, they just need some polishing to fit your specific needs.

spring

Plenty of good trainers around, such as Caleb Horton, that can turn a good dog into a great one. Good basic obedience in a dog makes the dozen or or more years the pup will live you a great experience, especially when guests come to your house or you're simply taking a walk in your neighborhood. Of course the desire to have a good dog on a dove shoot needs a bit of additional training, but not a lot, as the desire to go and get stuff will already be bred into your pup.
I love labs, have one that excelled in field trials and is great with dove/duck hunting. I also have French Brittanies for quail, my son has a Boykin, and two of my brothers and a niece have English cockers; all great breeds. For dove, you won't need a dog the size of a lab, but if you duck hunt, they have a huge advantage over the small breeds.
Boykins and ECs make great pets and dove/flushing dogs, but from the ones I've seen in my family, I'd go with an EC and simply because of their desire to please and loving nature. Here's my niece's from a couple of days ago:

tempImage4H7j1O.jpg

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
While anecdotal with a small sample size, I see a trend towards the EC and fewer Boykins on dove shoots I attend. Garden and Gun has a recent article on the surge of EC ownership and popularity.