Dumb question on .308 Win dies….

Dub

I’m fearless when it comes to asking dumb questions…..so hear I go again….

Looking at reloading dies for .308 Win.

Let’s take Forester, for instance.

They have .308 Win National Match as well as .308 Win dies.

What is the difference?

Where would one be preferred over another ?

.308 Win is a cartridge that I will be running in bolt guns, AR-10, M1A and if I can ever hook up on a Henry Long Ranger with good wood….a lever action as well.

I will be loading it on both a 550 (dedicated toolhead for M1A & AR-10) and a Co-Ax (bolt rifles).

The additional dies I am asking about would be used in the Co-Ax.

Thanks for the education…

BriarPatch99

For a bolt action .....003" would be much .... I am interested in just enough to close the bolt with a hint of snugness ...

The AR would probably be good with the .003" ....

I don't shoot M1 ...so ....

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

For a bolt action .....003" would be much .... I am interested in just enough to close the bolt with a hint of snugness ...

The AR would probably be good with the .003" ....

I don't shoot M1 ...so ....
I was thinking along the same lines. It seems like a match chamber on something like an M1A would be the reason.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i would bet that the chamber is deep on both of the rifles he is loading for. if they are +.004 then that would shove his fired brass back .007 wouldn't it? this is where measuring tools com in handy.

i would assume a match chamber is .000

Dub

Well…..luck prevailed.

The National Match (.003 setback) sold as well as the standard .308.

Was able to pick up a neck bushing die to use for the bolt gun.

Will be using small base die for the M1A & AR-10.

The rest of my luck held out just long enough to get .270 Win dies covered, too. Mighty grateful for that.

Crazy market to be trying to find stuff.

After almost four years of piddling around, I should finally be rolling along mighty soon. Working 12 hr shifts through next Tuesday, but Wednesday & Thursday it’ll be time to get on to the fun stuff.

As of now I'm set with dies and starting components for:

.45/70
.30’06
6.5MB
and a couple handgun cartridges, too.

Benches are upstairs and in place. That took more time than I ever expected.

Gotta finish hanging the lights and mount the presses.

Also gotta get organized on storing brass & bullets. Likely will be using ammo cans and stacking beneath a bench.

Four years of piddling around. It has been a mighty pleasant thought to know that things would wait on me until the time was right.

Last edited:

bullgator

A little off topic, but I have .270 Win. and .270 Weatherby dies available. They are both RCBS and whatever brass and bullets that match.
I’ll be driving up to Jefferson sometime around 11/8.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think I have an extra set of .270 Win and maybe .308 too and 100 pieces of either brass wouldn't hurt me either.