CFE 223 and .308

BriarPatch99

I would not re-zero my scale once I let it warm up ... During a session ..

If a scales does not maintain zero for a whole reloading time ....then Ido not want it on my bench ...

I would use a test weight that is in the same range as the load I am using .... 100 grams is 1543.236 grains ...I would use a 4 or 5 gram test weight(preferably a set weights in grains) .... I have seen scales weigh fine at heavier weight but fail in the usable weight for reloading powders ...

Their is no problems compressing powders up until about 110% at that point you will start to see effects from it .... anything below will not give you problems unless you are already over max to begin with ....then it is because you are over max not compression.

Jester896

Senior Clown
at this point of your adventure.... I am not sure I would be concerned about measurements to the lands at this point. Anything you load and seat according to what the book suggests for what you are loading will be far more consistent than anything you probably will buy as a factory load. Just work on slicing your bread the same every time for now ;)

Dub

Odd to me… I would be more inclined to use the Sierra manuL

I've been trying to get to mine for two days now. I know it's in a box with some others....it's just buried alive under other stuff.

Finished my shelf above my bench last night. Hanging some lights beneath it tonight. Hoping to get my manuals on the shelf and ready for use once I clear out some of the mess in the way.

Kids hijacked my plans. They converted a spare bedroom to their new bedroom...son's old bedroom became his computer room....anything beneath the bed or in the closet got shoved into my future man cave room while I was at work last week. When I got in the there yesterday to put up my shelf...... it took more time to sit down and look through the stuff and determine current or future use, if any.

I'll have my hands on that big ole Sierra manual/binder before the sun rises. :rofl:

chuckdog

Chuck, it is good you brought the Gram and Grain modes to light. I have ran into this a couple of times. I am old and some times I forget to adjust my auto scales, they are so sensitive to wind, I always check them with my beam scale. I wish they would just make them in the grain mode.

In fact I have reverted back to using the beam scale for most of my reloading, it takes longer but what the heck, when you are retired you have plenty of time and what better way to use time than measuring loads on a beam scale. I enjoy my reloading so time is no bother.

The mode adjustments are one of the reasons i don't advise people just starting reloading to use auto scales. To me the beam is the best to start a person with. The beam gives them a better picture of the weight of a charge.

I agree about the balance beam being a far superior choice. As I've written many times, an electronic scale is great for convenience. Trusted precision calls for analog.

I use a Hornady desktop digital scale on a regular basis. For the most part I trust it. I doubt I'll ever own anything digital that I fully trust. In my line of work I've seen too much squirrely behavior from electronics to have the faith others do in digital equipment.

I've had O haus beam scales that needed attention too. Their issues are usually visible and more consistent. I like the fact that you set your desired weight and lock it. No warm up, no finicky static sensitivity.

I don't fully trust digital dial calipers either.

Make sure the bolt easily closes on a resized empty case.
Excess case length will drive up pressures dramatically. I uniform .308 to 2.005".

One blown primer is a signal to STOP! Something is off bad.

trial&error

Always, Always, Always start low and build up. I increase powder until my speed is where I want and groups shrink, if you keep going the groups will open back up. My loads are all below max grain and lower speed. Performance is what I load for and from a bench all my rifle loads are less than an inch for 3 shots @100yd i can nearly cloverleaf some targets on a good day.

One really important thing is write it all down bullet, powder, powder weight, seating depth, crimp, speed, performance. Way too much info to memorize all the variables. Always look for signs of over pressure loads.