Early Morning/Evening Topwater Bass w/more pics added

Scout'nStripers

Those are some pretty sweet looking topwater lures.
Thanks jz. The fish seem to like them too. I'll probably drop off a few for the guys at the Bait and Tackle shop on Buford Dam road early tomorrow morning on the way to the lake. I made a few more this afternoon.
DSC02775

fish hawk

Bass Master
Caught a few good ones again this morning. It was slow to say the least but I was able to call a few to the surface with the popper and caught a couple nice ones casting to where I saw surfacing fish. I had a lot of lookers again this morning. Even pulled a whole dang tribe of larger spots off a rocky point that followed the bait to the boat. A lot of curious fish. The cool part about the surfacing fish is that all you had to do was get the popper close to where they surfaced and they would come back up and hammer it almost every time. Even after waiting a few minutes you could still bring them back to the surface if you could cast into the right area and pop it a couple times. My cell phone camera decided not to work anymore but I did get a couple pictures of a couple of the fish this morning. This little popper is continuing to get it done and it's mainly been respectable fish with very few dinks. Testing is done and I've come to the conclusion this is an awesome bait.:cheers:
IMAG0381

IMAG0382

That first ones a football!!!
:cool:

Scout'nStripers

Got out yesterday morning and fished from 8 till noon. Yesterday there was a ton of topwater fish chasing bluebacks all over the surface. We found out very quickly that some of the fish were smaller stripers getting into the mix. My buddy Mercer did a little tackle testing on some new colors but we both wound up fishing the translucent emerald popper. We boated 10-12 fish, all on topwater poppers and even had a few firsts for the popper. I caught a 3-4lb striper and Mercer caught a smaller largemouth. To this point it had been nothing but spots. No big shouldered fish and we didn't really take pictures except for the LM yesterday. We did have 2 very nice fish hooked up but they shook the hook. Once again, the blow-ups on the popper were incredible and the fish provided some great topwater action. The wind was out of the north and west yesterday and the best action we got from topwater was positioning the boat up wind and throwing down wind across shallower points and working it against the wind back to the boat. Lisa had been traveling all week but she's back and were headed out in a couple hours. Hopefully we can get some good video this morning.
IMAG0395

Last edited:

Worley

Bait

That's a fine looking fish catching machine. I bet I know where some hybrids are that would crush it. In fact we need to arrange a test sample purchase for West Point, gonna be there in a couple of weeks;)

Scout'nStripers

That's a fine looking fish catching machine. I bet I know where some hybrids are that would crush it. In fact we need to arrange a test sample purchase for West Point, gonna be there in a couple of weeks;)
Worley, that would be interesting to see if those hybrids would hit it when they're popping bait on the surface. I know a few guys on West Point that use popping corks to make the same sound to attract hybee's. I'll bet they would work.

We got out again for a little while this morning but almost froze our tails off. We were underdressed for the weather this morning but I dug out a jacket for Lisa and we stuck it out for a while. Wind was blowing, overcast skies, a little drizzle and a good sized chop on the lake kept us from getting anything going with the topwater. We did manage 4-5 bass with only 1 making the highlight reel before we gave up.
Here's a little video of Lisa and one of her fish this morning.

DSC00111