Emanuel Co Rut

Ohoopee Tusker

The big boys start getting on their feet around Oct 18th. The week of Halloween is the time to be in the woods. After Nov 1st it will slow down a little more each day... 40 plus years hunting Emanuel Co.

rstallings1979

My farm is northwest of Twin City. 2.5 to 3.5 year olds are out trying to dog does pretty hard right now. I suspect you will see the mature deer get interested starting in the next 4-5 days and peaking out around 11/10. Bucks are hitting food pretty hard and haven't started a full blown interest in does just yet. That tells me not many does are coming into heat. Cooler weather comes in the middle of next week so if you can take off next Wed/Thursday you will likely see a mature buck on his feet I bet. This weekend may be pretty good at first light and just before dark but the heat is going to hamper movement. Just my 2 cents.

Big7

The Oracle
I don't know about Emanuel but when I hunted in Jefferson County for about 10 years, the rut map on the DNR website was amazingly accurate.

As you know, that's just one county north.
You can count on that map.

Dog Hunter

Thanks everybody. First year really hunting that far up. Getting several on camera from rt past dark up until br3eaking day

flatwoods

Complicated answer. I don't have time to go into all of it now.
Peak rut may or may not be the best time for you to see mature bucks on your property.
I hear people say they saw a big one out cruising Thanksgiving day.
That has nothing to do with peak rut.

Rut map shows Oct 30th. I would say thats pretty close from my experience in surrounding counties for " peak rut"

rstallings1979

Peak rut may or may not be the best time for you to see mature bucks on your property.

Rut map shows Oct 30th. I would say thats pretty close from my experience in surrounding counties for " peak rut"
You are right. Chances are that nice buck Thanksgiving week has already bred 2 -3 does and he is out looking for more of one is nearby.

Ohoopee Tusker

We get a pretty good secondary rut around Thanksgiving. That lines up with the 30 days after the Oct rut. It used to be crazy back in the 80s-90s when doe numbers were so high in my area.

flatwoods

Some people see very few deer during peak rut and confuse things.
More my purpose in posting. If you have a property with lots of bucks for instance, and very few does, you may not see much during peak rut.
Depends on the property.

rstallings1979

Thanks everybody. First year really hunting that far up. Getting several on camera from rt past dark up until br3eaking day
Gotcha. I love the area. It is not Worth county or anything close but some areas have decent bucks bouncing around. Over the last 8 years I have gotten pictures of a few 140 plus inch deer and there are usually always a few mature 125 inch deer bouncing around our place. My 10 year old son killed a nice 130inch 8 point last year. We usually take a nice 130inch buck every other year. We are picky with what we shoot and the neighbors seem to be as well.

flatwoods

Some really good deer, that you will never see, have been killed in Burke and Screven already this year.