Enjoying her $1,400 SUV payment

jdgator

Here is a link to an article in which another average American tripped into a massive financial hole. It will make you feel better next time you climb into your older, paid-off vehicle.

Snippet:

A TikTok user who goes by the name Blaisey Arnold says she has two massive car payments every month: one for her Chevy Tahoe SUV, which she financed for $84,000 at a 10% interest rate, and the other for her husband's GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 pickup truck, financed for $78,000 at 14%.

The monthly payment on her Tahoe is $1,400, she says, and the Sierra payment is $1,600.

"Why did I do this to myself?" wonders Arnold in one video, which has 2.5 million views.

Her conundrum is extreme: She financed the cars, it appears, in late 2021 and in 2022 at higher-than-average interest rates - the average rate for new-car loans ranged from about 4.3% in January 2022 to 6.7% in December 2022 - and she also chose to finance two pricey vehicles at once. But she is one of a growing number of Americans with car payments of $1,000 or more due to rising car prices and interest rates. Auto insurance and auto repair costs have been on the rise too, driving up the ongoing cost of car ownership.

By this February, 17.4% of new cars were financed with a monthly payment of over $1,000, compared with 5% in February 2020, according to data from the car site Edmunds. Over the same period, the average transaction price for new vehicles jumped from $38,130 to $47,060, and the average interest rate on new-car loans went from 5.7% to 7.1%.

LTZ25

I didn't open the link but I do feel for anyone that gets into finical trouble , I'm just built that way . Especially if it involves a family trying to live to high .

Whitefeather

Management Material
No one is held responsible for there actions.
Get a stupid useless college degree and Govt will pay it off

Over extend themselves financially and declare bankruptcy

Have more kids and get Peachcare and/or WICS or any other myriad of Govt programs

It’s the new world order

sinclair1

She can probably afford it, but most every new subdivision is full of $3000 house payments and a new SUV in the driveway.

We have been at this career game for 35 years and would be collecting soda cans if we had to pay those bills.

Dr. Strangelove

Jeeps at $50K all the way to $100K plus?

70's era homes that need $100k of work for $350K?

Where is this money coming from?

Cars are going for what houses used to and houses and even rent have gone insane. This world has gone crazy.

We're not being nickeled and dimed, we're being $250 and $1000 to death.

Redbow

I love my modest little house and the 2 vehicles that we drive all paid for many years ago. No debt just the modern day bills that we all have in order to live now days. Yeah I will buy a vehicle with 100k miles or more next time we need a vehicle if we ever do at our age. But I ain't getting in no stinking huge debt for anything or anyone in this world, foolishness abounds and craziness all around I see this every day in lots of people.

GeorgiaBob

Over that past 40 years I have had two car loans. Both times were a case of getting the best cash deal I could then having the dealership GM offer zero percent financing on that same agreed price. Both times I kept my cash earning more money and made payments.

Over that same 40 years, I have purchased 11 autos. The other nine were paid for with cash I saved up specifically a car before shopping. I had the cash for the two cars I financed, but interest free loans meant I could earn more money of the cash I didn't fork over. I am not "rich" and never had any windfall infusion of wealth. I have, since my 30s, worked very hard to stay out of debt and manage my money. As a result I gave all the resources I think I need and my wife is comfortable in knowing she will never be without.

It doesn't hurt that my care managing my assets means that we can be generous with family and also anywhere we see a need. I do not pity the idiots who waste their future buying toys they cannot afford. I do resent the waste and damage their greed and lack of self control is causing.