Estrous scents?

Timberjack86

Anyone have any luck with them? Back in the late 90s early 2000s when the scent industry was booming I had alot of luck with them. Seems like these last few years the effectiveness has dropped. I know alot of people will say there a gimmick and here lately I would agree with you. Anyone have any luck at all with Estrous scents during the rut?

Wifeshusband

I don't use them anymore, as they may be diluted or from several deer. Who knows what's in 'em. But back in the 90's I used them too and had some success during the rut. But don't make this mistake:
Instead of getting my climber set up and ready to go before putting out the scent, I put out the scent first, (dumped the whole bottle). It took me about ten minutes to get my climber (a big one) attached to a tree, myself roped in, when I got run over by by a big 8 pointer, coming to the dope like a red flag waved before a bull. Had a Marlin strapped to my back--three shells in the magazine, but none in the chamber, when I did the opening scene of The Rifleman.
No Deer: END OF STORY.

Jim Boyd

I do not and I think they may be illegal in some states?

Maybe even in my home state of SC.

I do know you can flat turn one around with a grunt call or rattling antlers, though.....

RipperIII

I do know you can flat turn one around with a grunt call or rattling antlers, though.....

last season while hunting a creek I got notification from a cell cam of a nice buck in another draw about 350 yds away, over a small ridge full of 4 yrd old planted pine...thick and nasty area.
I hit the doe bleat and grunt call in a sequence I've used often times before...i was shocked when that buck popped through the thick stuff about 10 minutes later, directly in front of me...lips curled, tongue out and on high alert...i watched him for a good 5 minutes while he went up and down the creek bank, great buck, but i didn't take him.

280 Man

Banned

The only urine based scent that can be used in SC are those that are synthetic or taken from deer that have been killed in SC.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve used them, but had no luck. The best thing I did find for trail cams on public land is ever calm. Without being able to put out corn etc... evercalm has been my best friend. I’m Finally ready to go at it this year And I will surely surround my set with the ever calm deer herd scent. I also like a drag rag......with ever calm.
I think I may wait til I get in my stand THEN dump out a bottle of pee! Thanks for the tip hubby!:cheers:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The only urine based scent that can be used in SC are those that are synthetic or taken from deer that have been killed in SC.
Legal here in GA, they just ask that any deer pee have a certification, but I forget which cert it is.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
This is the only product I have used that deer don't blow at or get spooked by it. Bucks really respond to it. It's made me a believer and some of my friends as well.VS-1_Scent_Stick_1000x.jpg

stumpman35

The only stuff that worked for me was a product no longer made. I can't remember the name but it was a product that a lot of the members here were talking about. Drew a nice 8 point right to it, put his nose in it. I think that scents work as long as it's not something they smell all the time like mass produced stuff like Tinks 69 doesn't seem to work for me. I've had some decent luck with Buck Bomb stopping deer when they are on the trail where I sprayed it but not attracting them so much. I'm looking for something new to try, I've read a lot of good things about Harmons, I may try that this year if I can find it.

Kdad

Stump, my good friend has used Harmon's for at least 10 yrs now and has killed 141 and 138 with that stuff. It's all he will use and has killed a bunch of other "nice" bucks... He gets it off the website from them btw.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Do u put it under your arms ?
If it would help me kill a buck of a lifetime I probably would. Our mutual friend got me doing crazy things when it comes to hunting so good chance I would try it ?

thumper523

I have had good success with Bowhunter's Fatal Obsession (BFO). I have seen deer show up within minutes of putting some out to investigate. I've had deer literally follow me to stand before.

Joe Brandon

I use cheap tinks #69 all day! Its about when for me. It has to be during the right time of year, depending on where I am just a few days before the rut the bucks cant help themselves.

stumpman35

Stump, my good friend has used Harmon's for at least 10 yrs now and has killed 141 and 138 with that stuff. It's all he will use and has killed a bunch of other "nice" bucks... He gets it off the website from them btw.
Do you know which one he uses? I was just looking on their website and I don't see an estrous one.

Kdad

Stump, sorry I hadn't been on here for a minute. IIRC, he used the scrape scent and I'm pretty sure he had used doe estrus scent. I'll get in touch with him and get back to you.