Etowah fun

sprewett

Spend the day with a good friend chasing striper on the lower Etowah. Had live shad and also had some chicken liver for running a trot line. We never got around to setting the trot line because we didn't want to take time away from regular fishing. The fishing was really slow only two good hits in the shad with no commitment, my guess is a turtle. Caught one channel cat on liver, and invited him home for dinner. The water became more stained as we moved north toward the pumpkinvine creek. My little 14' Jon boat with a mud motor powered up the river great with us two, climbing the fishing wiers without problem. There was this one issue though! We knocked a hole in the boat I saw us taking water and thought uh oh. I assessed the problem stuffed a curly tail grub in the hole which stopped the leak and kept fishing for another 6 hours. The weather was beautiful, the water was awesome, and the comraderie was second to none. What an amazing day on the water.
Maybe tomorrow they will bite a bit more.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Spend the day with a good friend chasing striper on the lower Etowah. Had live shad and also had some chicken liver for running a trot line. We never got around to setting the trot line because we didn't want to take time away from regular fishing. The fishing was really slow only two good hits in the shad with no commitment, my guess is a turtle. Caught one channel cat on liver, and invited him home for dinner. The water became more stained as we moved north toward the pumpkinvine creek. My little 14' Jon boat with a mud motor powered up the river great with us two, climbing the fishing wiers without problem. There was this one issue though! We knocked a hole in the boat I saw us taking water and thought uh oh. I assessed the problem stuffed a curly tail grub in the hole which stopped the leak and kept fishing for another 6 hours. The weather was beautiful, the water was awesome, and the comraderie was second to none. What an amazing day on the water.
Maybe tomorrow they will bite a bit more.
Just another Friday fish'n....

sprewett

Chapter two of the small boat in a fun river. Stuffed another crappy jig in the hole this morning,.fired the engine up, and up the river we went. I was wanting to get some top water action so I had two rods one with a Rebel PopR and one with a Googan Squad square Bill firecraw crankbait for deeper areas. I began working the PopR slow and intentionally throwing around timber that was right up on the bank. My step dad was working a fluke with a weighted hook. We ended up in the short time we fished less than 2 hours with 3 nice keeper bass, one of which weighed about 3lbs, and a small striper that was released to grow up. We decided we had better head out to beat the shenanigans at the boat ramp and went to start my engine, NOPE, it had locked up. @hopper it was a 212cc predator with a mudskipper LT kit. The engine has served me well I have had it for about four years guess I am getting a new engine this week.
It is always a blast and definitely always and adventure. I am not sure there are two many bad days in the water.

sprewett

Tore down the river queen a bit ago. New engine and hole mending. Can't be aggravated about beating the boat up I am a river rat and knew day one I was gonna have to do mending on the ole boat. Love the adventures this boat has brought so far and great table fare to boot.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_171008847_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230617_171008847_HDR.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230617_172257193_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230617_172257193_HDR.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 38

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There’s a shuttle service opened up in Canton. Think I’ll give them some business and float down stream fishing on the way down. Maybe catch a bass or striper on the way.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Here you go, only open on weekends now. Hopefully they’ll get enough business to expand.

sprewett

There’s a shuttle service opened up in Canton. Think I’ll give them some business and float down stream fishing on the way down. Maybe catch a bass or striper on the way.
I haven't fished too much between north of the lake and south of Canton. I tried one time but the center consoles chasing stripers make pretty big wakes and I took water over my sidewall so I turned around and went right back to the boat ramp. Let us know how you do!
There are also a couple shuttles south of the lake too. However, Euharlee, Hardin Bridge, and Macedonia are insanely busy during the weekends.

sprewett

Another couple trips in the books for the little boat that could. The new engine is the same as last a 212cc but this one is a Hemi, and it does have more power. Saturday morning after men's group my brother and I hit up the oostanaula river ramp off 140 and soon as we got there it was out of the banks and chocolate milk. I figured we wouldn't catch anything but I wanted to try out the new engine. We traveled about 3 miles up stream. My goal was to fish and float back but..... The current was so fast we floated 3 miles in less than 40 minutes. No fishing just keeping us out of the trees with a paddle. Then in the evening decided to hit the Etowah after the ramps had simmered down from the floaters and party crowd. Went up river to a sorta of go to spot if mine. I fished about an hour maybe two (kind of slow bite) but did manage a good size channel cat that I invited home for supper.
So tomorrow night it is fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, and homemade buttermilk biscuits for supper.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Another couple trips in the books for the little boat that could. The new engine is the same as last a 212cc but this one is a Hemi, and it does have more power. Saturday morning after men's group my brother and I hit up the oostanaula river ramp off 140 and soon as we got there it was out of the banks and chocolate milk. I figured we wouldn't catch anything but I wanted to try out the new engine. We traveled about 3 miles up stream. My goal was to fish and float back but..... The current was so fast we floated 3 miles in less than 40 minutes. No fishing just keeping us out of the trees with a paddle. Then in the evening decided to hit the Etowah after the ramps had simmered down from the floaters and party crowd. Went up river to a sorta of go to spot if mine. I fished about an hour maybe two (kind of slow bite) but did manage a good size channel cat that I invited home for supper.
So tomorrow night it is fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, and homemade buttermilk biscuits for supper.
Did you fix that hole? I was thinking a little of that putty type steel would have it done in a few minutes and last forever. Glad to hear your getting out and catching a few. I may get out this week, but after all this rain, I may go looking for chants instead.

sprewett

Did you fix that hole? I was thinking a little of that putty type steel would have it done in a few minutes and last forever. Glad to hear your getting out and catching a few. I may get out this week, but after all this rain, I may go looking for chants instead.
Yes sir, I pulled everything out and off the boat pulled it off trailer. Flipped it over done an inspection and fixed all holes, I am good to go and knock more it in now. Haha

Mack in N.C.

Chapter two of the small boat in a fun river. Stuffed another crappy jig in the hole this morning,.fired the engine up, and up the river we went. I was wanting to get some top water action so I had two rods one with a Rebel PopR and one with a Googan Squad square Bill firecraw crankbait for deeper areas. I began working the PopR slow and intentionally throwing around timber that was right up on the bank. My step dad was working a fluke with a weighted hook. We ended up in the short time we fished less than 2 hours with 3 nice keeper bass, one of which weighed about 3lbs, and a small striper that was released to grow up. We decided we had better head out to beat the shenanigans at the boat ramp and went to start my engine, NOPE, it had locked up. @hopper it was a 212cc predator with a mudskipper LT kit. The engine has served me well I have had it for about four years guess I am getting a new engine this week.
It is always a blast and definitely always and adventure. I am not sure there are two many bad days in the water.

get a Honda GX200