Etowah River in the Dawson Forest

HydraYak

Hi Folks!

Last weekend we paddled the Etowah River in Dawson Forest; River Park to Kelly Bridge.

Over the years I've kind of avoided this stretch of river because this portion of the Etowah is very small and there are fallen tree blockages on the reg. Last weekend as kind of an "paddle through and check it out" trip. We didn't fish a whole lot.

We did have to paddle through 5 or 6 strainers, where someone has sawed/cut out a pass. There are also several trees "ready to go" looming over the river. So the risk of having to port is there still.

With that said, has anyone had any fishing success on this stretch of river?

I'm going back this Saturday and plan to fish it for bass and panfish. Pretty much my game plan is 6lb class tackle, 4 inch worms and 2 inch rapala divers. And maybe a few different size rooster tails and beetle spins.

Anyone got any tips for this stretch of river?

Randell

I have kayak that stretch of the river before never fish it I am going down amicolola this weekend and I always trout fish that stretch

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
If I can get my jetski through there your kayak should have a problem.
Some stretches were 60mph.

devolve

Might have to check that stretch out soon. Been looking for a lazy half day paddle for the wife and I.

HydraYak

Curious how a canoe and a small outboard would do
Might be tricky. It's shallow and there's lots of timber around. You could probably get up to the nuclear rapid with a rig like that. Plenty of fishable water.

HydraYak

I went back last weekend.
Caught a striper on this trip.
Also all but one of the log jams have been cleared since a week ago.

HydraYak

It's a great day float.

One thing I really like about this stretch of river is there is a LOT of shade. You know how hot it gets July through August around here. Summer striper and lots of shade make this spot awesome for those dog days coming up in July and August.

RamblinWreck

I like that section, but I go a past Kelly Bridge and take out at the gun club (I'm a member so I leave a vehicle there by the river - very secure), right past where Yellow Creek joins the river. It has been a while since I floated it, but last time there was a huge tree all the way across you had to get over, down a ways from Kelly bridge. Kinda tricky getting over that. Not sure if it is still there.

HydraYak

I like that section, but I go a past Kelly Bridge and take out at the gun club (I'm a member so I leave a vehicle there by the river - very secure), right past where Yellow Creek joins the river. It has been a while since I floated it, but last time there was a huge tree all the way across you had to get over, down a ways from Kelly bridge. Kinda tricky getting over that. Not sure if it is still there.

I would love information on the gun club. I hear them blasting when i'm out there. Got some safe queens that need the dust knocked off.