Factory strings?

duke13

Are the Barracuda strings on the new Mathews any good?

If buying a new bow should I stick with the factory strings or replace them with a Winners Choice or other string immediately?

DaddyPaul

Duke I used to give the factory strings a chance to "shoot in" but not anymore. I put a set of Winner's Choice strings on my new AR34 last year and have shot it no telling how many times. Inside of 5 shots the peep was perfect and hasn't moved a lick since. It doesn't even rotate a little, just comes straight back to my eye. I don't think I will wast the time with a factory set anymore. Maybe set it up with the factory strings, install nocks, etc... then take it off and keep it as an emergency back up to the WC strings?

Rob

Winners Choice

I liked the tiger strings, but last year I tried the zebra on my outback and I lost all faith in Mathews strings...I had to tune my bow every 200 or so shots - constant string creep. After a month of tuning with the zebra I switched to a winners choice and after the first few shots nothing has moved, twisted, or stretched - excellent product! The baracuda might be better, but I no longer have faith in Mathews strings so I will stick with the winners choice.

reylamb

I will not shoot any factory strings on any bow, unless Winners Choice are factory standard, and that means Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, andy of them. While factory strins have gotten better, they are not on par with a set of custom strings.

duke13

Anyone use the Vapor Trail or VPX strings?
Reylamb, what material do you build your strings with?

reylamb

Predominantly 8125, but I can build them with about whatever anyone wants. I typically recommend 8125 and personally use it as I feel it is the best combination of speed, strength, and durability of any material on the market.

Vapor trail makes good strings, as does Eric Griggs of GAS strings, Stone Mountain strings, and Berry strings.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I know that many folks will tell you to replace the strings. BUT...not me unless you are ready for a new string.

I would replace that Mathews with a Hoyt before I would replace the string:D J/K

Jim

duke13

Jim Thompson said:
I know that many folks will tell you to replace the strings. BUT...not me unless you are ready for a new string.

I would replace that Mathews with a Hoyt before I would replace the string:D J/K

Jim

I don't have it yet Jim! I still haven't made my choice! Do they make V-Tecs in pink? :bounce:

Glenn

I 2nd Pro Strings :cheers:

I have them on my PSE Thunderbolt and they worked fine last year.

On my PSE Scorpion I have factory strings and they work fine also. It just depends on how many times you are going to shoot your bow. If you shoot 3D then a good quality custom string is the way you want to go. but if you are just hunting with your bow and you only shoot to pratice a little and to hunt with I would just stick with your factory strings and settings.

Of course this is IMO ;)

Cyberone

Give the barracuda string a chance. I think you will be surprised.