Falcons draft

James12

Have always thought they often mess themselves on draft day, was hoping they’d take Bowers (he went home to CA). But at least the MP Jr pick is exciting and he can learn behind Cousins. I like it!

HermanMerman

We had work associates in town this week from Green Bay. A couple of them asked me about being a falcons fan at which I replied “nobody here cares about the falcons.” They have taken a back seat to college football and as far as I can tell will take a few generations of fans to recover. They continue to make poor decisions.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
The Falcons front office is a bunch of incompetent clowns. They need defense now, not a QB. They should have traded back a few spots and got some help on D. Fontenot is to stupid to draft any top talent from UGA, he passed on Carter last year. They remind me of a scared dog shaking and peeing himself when it's owner comes home.terryclown.jpg

DannyW

Just when you think the Falcons couldn't do anything dumber, they say hold my beer.

What.Were.They.Thinking???

Their biggest need was NFL ready pass rushers. Every single defensive player was still on the board when their pick came up. So what do they do? Use the 8th overall pick to pick a projected mid-to-late second round pick (QB) who won't be ready to contribute for 3-4 years.

Seeing how the draft was playing out, they could have traded back for a later first round pick and picked up an extra second round pick. The FIRST defensive pick did not come off the board until pick 15! They could have used that new first round pick to get some immediate defensive help and still could have gotten Pennix with one of their two second round picks.

Don't misunderstand...I am not criticizing picking Pennix. He could very well be the Falcon's QB of 2027. But I am criticizing where they picked him.

There is an art as well as a science involved with the draft. You have to read the other teams and learn what their needs are. And even a dummy like me, someone that knows next to nothing about evaluating NFL talent, could see the Falcons dropped the ball. They overreached. Badly. They could have gotten immediate defensive help AND still gotten the QB of their dreams. NFL draft 101.

In NFL parlance, they muffed the punt.

TJay

I'm going to hold my opinion til the dust settles. I saw a blurb the other day that Trey Hendrickson/Bengals is no longer happy there and wants out. The story went on to talk about what a great fit he would be for the Falcons and they should pursue him with much vigor. If the Falcons can get Hendrickson (he'll be expensive) than that will give them the option to put picking up a pass rusher on the back burner. Cousins is a nice addition but he's a short time solution and the Falcons need someone to take over when Cousins time is up. Hence Penix. If they had not taken a quarterback this year with the 8th pick when would they do it? If Cousins performs and the Falcons put together a pretty good season they probably wouldn't have much luck drafting a qb of the future from back half of the first round. The Falcons still need a pass rusher, either Hendrickson or someone else. Time will tell I guess.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I've been a Falcons fan for 50 years and I've seen them make dumb decisions as far as players, coaches and GM's but this one baffles me. I guess we'll always be losers. At least I have the Braves and the Dawgs :rolleyes:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I'm going to hold my opinion til the dust settles. I saw a blurb the other day that Trey Hendrickson/Bengals is no longer happy there and wants out. The story went on to talk about what a great fit he would be for the Falcons and they should pursue him with much vigor. If the Falcons can get Hendrickson (he'll be expensive) than that will give them the option to put picking up a pass rusher on the back burner. Cousins is a nice addition but he's a short time solution and the Falcons needed someone to take over when Cousins time is up. Hence Penix. If they had not taken a quarterback this year with the 8th pick when would they do it? If Cousins performs and the Falcons put together a pretty good season they probably wouldn't have much luck drafting a qb of the future from back half of the first round. The Falcons still need a pass rusher, either Hendrickson or someone else. Time will tell I guess.
It's almost like they're expecting Cousins to get hurt. If he does, I guess they'll come out looking good, as long as Penix is legit

TJay

It's almost like they're expecting Cousins to get hurt. If he does, I guess they'll come out looking good, as long as Penix is legit
If Cousins can stay healthy it is an ideal situation to grow a talented young qb with a great mentor. Get him some reps without throwing him into the fire.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
We had work associates in town this week from Green Bay. A couple of them asked me about being a falcons fan at which I replied “nobody here cares about the falcons.” They have taken a back seat to college football and as far as I can tell will take a few generations of fans to recover. They continue to make poor decisions.
TRUTH! I'm a huge Green Bay fan myself. Always have been.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Decent pick but not at 8. Cousins is extremely risky at 36 coming off an Achilles injury with that OL. He was an average at best QB even before the injury.
I think Fontenot knows he’s on the hot seat and wanted to get his guy.

specialk

i know hardly anything about football, or at least present day football, but i know alot about the falcons having watched/followed them since rankin owned them.....i'll bet my next paycheck that this last pick will be traded off in 2 years....

huntersluck

This is one of the dumbest 1st round picks I've ever seen, and it has nothing to do with the player it's the position

BeerThirty

As a Packers fan, this move by the Falcons seems very Green Bay-ish to me in terms of building through the draft and succession planning. Hear me out... Green Bay did the same thing with Rodgers (under Favre) and Love (under Rodgers). The Penix Jr. move is a head scratcher to me, as it seems premature, so the GM and scouts must have really seen something they liked. I can acknowledge the argument that they want Cousins to mentor him, fair. But it again, seems too early when they have four years of Cousins. Bringing in Cousins was a "win now" deal and they should've addressed immediate needs, not long-term.

The only other thing I can maybe understand is snatching Penix to have a solid backup. I don't even know who Cousins' backup is. But why would you use a 1st round back for a backup scenario? Or did they do it to keep the competition and fire lit under Cousins? I don't know.