Finally Got The VanPer Going

Big7

The Oracle
Finally got the little VanPer going just in time for Deer season.

The 6 1/2 X 3 ft bed I was worried about for over a year fits with plenty of room to spare.

All kinds of room under the bed and the rest of the cargo bay for hunting and fishing equipment.

Pretty sure I have everything except a TV and a (real) GPS System so should be good to go.

I got a good tent for long stays but at least with this, I don't have to break camp- just crank up and go for the most part and better than a tent in really cold or wet weather.

By all means, still a work in progress but it's a start.
20231020_180224_HDR.jpg

GeorgiaGlockMan

Van Life!!!

Looks like fun.

I have a Cabela's XL cot that sleeps like a dream in a tent.

Looks like you have it going on there.

Go get some cheap silver, folded, front window visors and cut them to fit for the side and back van windows for a little insulation and light control.

Big7

The Oracle
Van Life!!!

Looks like fun.

I have a Cabela's XL cot that sleeps like a dream in a tent.

Looks like you have it going on there.

Go get some cheap silver, folded, front window visors and cut them to fit for the side and back van windows for a little insulation and light control.
I'll be looking for some of those for insulation and privacy.

No tint on the windshield or front doors but at least the side and hatch back doors have a little. Not very dark tho.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
When and where is the first adventure ? Take plenty of pictures and share !
I’ve thought of doing something similar with a camper top on my truck

Big7

The Oracle
When and where is the first adventure ? Take plenty of pictures and share !
I’ve thought of doing something similar with a camper top on my truck
First leg for the VamPer will be Redlands WMA around Skull Shoals. I saw people camped and a guy I met said they were "living there".. You can stay 14 nights before you have to break camp for at least 24 hours. I expect the few empty campsites I saw to be taken by the time I get there but there are a lot of more remote campsites throughout the WMA so I don't expect it to be hard to find a place once the morning hunt is over.

The one place I found that looked promising to hunt is off the beaten trail a little so the plan is to leave home in a couple of hours, find a spot to park and grab a nap. Then go in about an hour and a half before shooting light and get settled in. Hopefully, me being way back in there where it's walk in only, maybe the rest of the hunters will push some my way around shooting light.

I have no idea what to expect so it's definitely playing it by ear. I'm scared to not go because I'm certain a LOT of Deer will be killed opening weekend. That's going to cut the numbers down in that area.

If it looks dangerous, I have the luxury of going back home and hunting during the week when there won't be so many people. It's less than an hour away.

Soon as I put one in the freezer, I'm going to Florida for several days. Maybe a week or two.
Need to pop 2 because @fussyray is needing one for meat.

I've been wanting to make this thing a mini- camper and do some Boondock'in for a while now so I'm ready to hunt and fish.

Big7

The Oracle
And fell asleep looking at satellite maps and the alarm didn't go off or I didn't hear it.

Oh well... That gives me a chance to get better organized and packed.

New plan is to go right after lunch, find a spot to camp close enough to walk to the stand and hope for the best.

Prolly was God looking out for me. At least I won't be going in the woods on public land for the first time in the dark- and I'll be set up better to camp.

Big7

The Oracle
Well, how’d it go?
Wound up within driving distance opening weekend. I knew about where I was going but it's a shorter drive than I thought. About 35- 45 minutes.

That was opening evening and Sunday morning. Sunday evening I did go further out from home where staying would have made more sense but came home anyway.

I did have everything packed and ready to stay and plan on it still during the week and especially at the last place. Never been there, much less scouted, so need to stay a while and put in some work.

Had to see the neurologist today but really nothing else important any time soon.

Learned a few simple things about van camping just driving around so I have a day or 2 to make some improvements.

Went good for the first time. I hadn't even had the seats down until Thursday or Friday and had it over 3 years. Really happy the bed fit back there. I was dreading sleeping on just a mattress.

Latest posts