Finally Happened, A Slide I Couldn't Control

chuckdog

With all the rain we've had this year, I haven't cut my yard once when it was completely dry.

I mow about 4.5 acres with a very steep backyard. I also have very long steep bank along the roadside and barbed wire fences to deal with. To the east side I have a steep hillside with a power right of way down to Little River. I mow down to the edge of the right of way. Any of you that mow hills and banks with a zero turn know what I'm talking about when I use the term, "Controlled Slide." You keep the mower headed straight by applying more speed to the lower side drive.

Cutting along the backyard side I have a small wooded area between yard and pasture fence. There's one area in particular where my gutter drain outlet is that's treacherous. While mowing late yesterday I had in mind to get close, but bypass this known bad area and finish it with a push mower. Well, I got a little too close. The rear of the mower spun around and gained speed as it entered the wood line backwards. I tried every trick maneuver I have in my repertoire. I simply slid farther and dug myself deeper in.

I got the tractor and pulled the mower out. No obvious damage done, (only my ego) was damaged.

I'm fortunate that it didn't happen in another part of the yard.

People often ask me why I don't get some of the grand youngins' to mow my huge yard. This is why!

I've read the stats where more men over 60 are injured on zero turns than any other age group.

I admit to having a great deal of confidence in my ability to operate my zero turn. This is an example of a competent, confident operator making a mistake. These machines are unforgiving when out of control!

I tried to have the tractor put away before the wife got home, but I didn't make it. She didn't ask about the tractor being out, she did ask about the newly opened area at the edge of the yard. Not much gets by old women. They know to inspect things after leaving us unsupervised for any length of time.

She also removed another tick from me. I've lost count of the number I've had on me this year.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
With all the rain we've had this year, I haven't cut my yard once when it was completely dry.

I mow about 4.5 acres with a very steep backyard. I also have very long steep bank along the roadside and barbed wire fences to deal with. To the east side I have a steep hillside with a power right of way down to Little River. I mow down to the edge of the right of way. Any of you that mow hills and banks with a zero turn know what I'm talking about when I use the term, "Controlled Slide." You keep the mower headed straight by applying more speed to the lower side drive.

Cutting along the backyard side I have a small wooded area between yard and pasture fence. There's one area in particular where my gutter drain outlet is that's treacherous. While mowing late yesterday I had in mind to get close, but bypass this known bad area and finish it with a push mower. Well, I got a little too close. The rear of the mower spun around and gained speed as it entered the wood line backwards. I tried every trick maneuver I have in my repertoire. I simply slid farther and dug myself deeper in.

I got the tractor and pulled the mower out. No obvious damage done, (only my ego) was damaged.

I'm fortunate that it didn't happen in another part of the yard.

People often ask me why I don't get some of the grand youngins' to mow my huge yard. This is why!

I've read the stats where more men over 60 are injured on zero turns than any other age group.

I admit to having a great deal of confidence in my ability to operate my zero turn. This is an example of a competent, confident operator making a mistake. These machines are unforgiving when out of control!

I tried to have the tractor put away before the wife got home, but I didn't make it. She didn't ask about the tractor being out, she did ask about the newly opened area at the edge of the yard. Not much gets by old women. They know to inspect things after leaving us unsupervised for any length of time.

She also removed another tick from me. I've lost count of the number I've had on me this year.

I did a small slide yesterday, was able to power out of it with opposite side. Not terribly steep, mostly in too big of a hurry as it was getting close to dark and I was trying to finish it up.
Other than tearin up a little grass no worse for wear, and it was good to know I had the ability to overcome it with a new mower I’m still familiarizing myself with. I was boogieing though.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
@chuckdog, thanks for sharing. Keep a close eye on that tick bite. You don't want to go through what I just went through with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. If you see ANY kind of rash at all, go to the Dr. without delay. This junk is not something that your immune system can handle and the sooner it's nipped in the bud, the less after effects you'll have. I'm still suffering some joint pain 3 weeks after starting treatment.

DAVE

I saw a few weeks ago a man in Ky. mowing his yard as he had done many times on his zero turn, lost control, crashed through the fence and went over a hundred foot cliff to his death. Wife came home and couldn't find him but saw where the fence was broke down and on investigating found the mower and husband at bottom of cliff.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I saw a few weeks ago a man in Ky. mowing his yard as he had done many times on his zero turn, lost control, crashed through the fence and went over a hundred foot cliff to his death. Wife came home and couldn't find him but saw where the fence was broke down and on investigating found the mower and husband at bottom of cliff.

Could have gone all day without reading this. (n)

LTZ25

I use a Skag and almost turned it over into Lake Sinclair , scared the fire out of me , glad you were not hurt .

ucfireman

I was going up a decent hill (about 45-50degree) and hit a big ant hill, it kicked the front end up into the air, I leaned forward and pushed the handles at the same time (by accident) and it popped up until it just about went over. Luckily it hit the little wheelie wheels at the back under the engine guard.
It scared me real bad, I still wont go up that part of the hill.
I got a roll bar but don't use it or the seat belt.

On occasions I will back down a hill as I cut then go up it forward if there's not a lot of room to spin around or cant go sideways. Bad feeling when going backwards and hit a hole and the bottom drops out. Even worse when it wont go forward no more. A 600lb zero turn sitting the frame on the ground and a 1/2 mile walk for the tractor sucks.
Been there twice!

And the mud area that sneaks up on you and you slip slid all over the place until you just dig 2 holes.
More times than I can count.

But I love zero turns, best mower idea ever.

BriarPatch99

Thank goodness I have no hills to deal with .... I do have a "low wet area" and my new this season zero turn has figured out how to get stuck several times! We got to break a new synthetic winch rope on my sons four wheeler .....all it could do to move the mower enough to get out !!

Another thing I quickly figured out ....them things will behead you with low hanging limbs! I got out the chain saw and did a trim on all my limbs ...after nearly taking my head off ....

I did figure out that lowering the tire pressure can help with the bogging down ....just not too low ...just not jelly tight and slick!!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thank goodness I have no hills to deal with .... I do have a "low wet area" and my new this season zero turn has figured out how to get stuck several times!

Another thing I quickly figured out ....them things will behead you with low hanging limbs! I got out the chain saw and did a trim on all my limbs ...after nearly taking my head off ....

I did figure out that lowering the tire pressure can help with the bogging down ....just not too low ...just not jelly tight and slick!!

i run right at 8psi

Lilly001

I have a tractor with a loader at both properties. So when I get stuck a short chain to the roll bar and I’m back in business.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ya'll should try it up here in the middle of the mountains. Zero turns are fine if you're going uphill, but they tend to break and ballhoot going downhill. If I have to mow a steep slope with a zero turn, I back down the steep parts.

I've mowed stuff durn near vertical with Ventrac and Steiner tractors with outrigger wheels.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
My uncle did this a few years ago but went in the drink. We fetched the mower out and had to drain it and change the oil but my uncle and I spent the next 5 hours wading around hand fishing for his Kel-Tec. Finally found it but I found out his priority in life that day.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I won’t let my boys mow the ditch with our zero turn, it almost always pops a little wheelie coming out of it. Clothesline’s are hard to see similar to the limbs mentioned above. We had a guy at work that slid one into a pond, it was comical. It was a very low slope, it just happened to be slick red clay.

Gunsmoke

My cousin was killed mowing by himself on a zero turn .He was mowing a patch of grass near a 15 ft cliff that he did all the time and it had rained and the earth gave out under him and he was not found until the next afternoon.Very sad.

ucfireman

I did something today I have never done.
I was cutting along and all was good. Was going buy a sweetgum I cut by all the time. Somehow today I managed to get a blade stuck UNDER a root. Initially I thought I hit the root and it dug into the root and stopped the blade sand killed the engine. Messed around a while trying to go backwards and raise the deck. no luck.
I went and got a hammer and old blade to try to knock it free only to dig around and find the right blade completely under a root about 2-3 inches in diameter. The spindle had ran into the root and the blade went under it.
Had to get the tractor and push it backwards. Amazingly there was no damage to the blade (That I could feel) and I was able to finish the area before the rain.