Finishing mower?

Ihunt

I know this is a long shot but does anyone within about an hour of Perry,Ga. have a large finishing mower I could rent for one day this summer?

Thinking about buying one but want to see how one at least 6’ would cut my grass.

Jim Boyd

I know this is a long shot but does anyone within about an hour of Perry,Ga. have a large finishing mower I could rent for one day this summer?

Thinking about buying one but want to see how one at least 6’ would cut my grass.

I need one also!

Ihunt

Jim,
My yard is relatively flat but definitely not perfectly flat. I’m just worried about scalping if I go too big but BIG is the way I want to go.

I can buy a 91” finishing mower for about half of what a 52” zero turn cost and going 91” should cut my grass cutting time down. It should also prolong the life of my zero turn if all I have to do is trim work. I do all of my weed eating with roundup.

Stroker

Jim,
My yard is relatively flat but definitely not perfectly flat. I’m just worried about scalping if I go too big but BIG is the way I want to go.

I can buy a 91” finishing mower for about half of what a 52” zero turn cost and going 91” should cut my grass cutting time down. It should also prolong the life of my zero turn if all I have to do is trim work. I do all of my weed eating with roundup.
I run a 72'' for about six years along with a 44'' rider for the tight areas. The rider gave up two summers ago and I replaced it with a 60'' zero turn, the 72'' has been setting in the weeds ever since. My land is mostly flat and smooth around the house, the other 4 acres was rough. Never had a problem with excessive scalping and over time the few high areas got shaved down. I run mine with 25 PTO HP with no problems. The rear discharge mowers give a better cut. I prefer solid vs pneumatic gauge wheel tires. Depending on the brand serviceable and repair parts can be expensive and hard to source. You'll need a good grease gun, use it religiously. They are a great time saver and with sharp blades will give a nice cut, they don't do well with extremely tall grass though. If I had more acres I'd pull mine out tomorrow. Shoot me a PM for more info. James.

Ihunt

I run a 72'' for about six years along with a 44'' rider for the tight areas. The rider gave up two summers ago and I replaced it with a 60'' zero turn, the 72'' has been setting in the weeds ever since. My land is mostly flat and smooth around the house, the other 4 acres was rough. Never had a problem with excessive scalping and over time the few high areas got shaved down. I run mine with 25 PTO HP with no problems. The rear discharge mowers give a better cut. I prefer solid vs pneumatic gauge wheel tires. Depending on the brand serviceable and repair parts can be expensive and hard to source. You'll need a good grease gun, use it religiously. They are a great time saver and with sharp blades will give a nice cut, they don't do well with extremely tall grass though. If I had more acres I'd pull mine out tomorrow. Shoot me a PM for more info. James.

Time savings is what I’m after. I started using a grass growth regulator last year and I love that stuff but I’ve come to hate spending a couple of hours cutting grass. If I could cut my grass cutting time in half I’d
really like that.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Jim,

My neighbors yard is also about 4 acres. And flat.

He runs a bat wing (10-12’?) and his grass is done in no time.