First .22 suppressor

Adam5

I’m looking a new new rabbit hole that I’m deciding if I should go down or not. Since the Ruger 22/45 lite that I’m picking up on Saturday is threaded…..

What would be a good first can without killing my budget? Rugged Oculus 22? Silencer Co Sparrow?

Reactions: LGB

bullgator

I don’t think you can go wrong with either.....plus a few others. I have the Sparrow on that same pistol and it gets very quiet. Just be warned that Rimfire cans need regular cleaning because rimfire ammo is dirty.

bullgator

Take a look at the Q El Camino.

longrangedog

I've had a sparrow for 6 years and have been pleased with it on my Ruger and CZ bolt .22. With subsonic ammo both firearms are "hollywood" quiet. The .22 suppressor makes much more sense to me than a centerfire suppressor.

Lilly001

The Sigg Sauer SRD22X is what I bought.
It was fairly inexpensive and it works very well. Easy to clean and I use it on a Ruger 22/45 lite.

GunnSmokeer

Adam, my AAC Pilot 22 suppressor is the best thing I've come across in a long time. (I don't mean it's the best among 22 long rifle suppressors... I'm just saying a fairly small and lightweight 22 suppressor on a semi automatic 22 lr rifle or pistol is a great combination!

And if we're talking about putting it on a semi automatic handgun whose barrel length is 5 inches or less, you should know that almost all 36 to 40 gr. bullets will come out subsonic --even ones that are marked "high velocity."

I think it takes a 6 inch barrel to let most high velocity 22 long rifles actually reach the speed of sound.

GunnSmokeer

A797E8C1-1E69-4C35-8667-52884D3C9D66.jpeg

If this is your new rimfire pistol ...I like it!
and I'll say congratulations!

GunnSmokeer

Adam, i've got a gift card to Range Guns and Safes in Norcross. If you want to bring your new pistol up there I'll let you shoot my suppressor on it. I'll also bring my browning Buckmark which is threaded for that can.
-Kurt-

Reactions: Dub

Adam5

View attachment 1136181

If this is your new rimfire pistol ...I like it!
and I'll say congratulations!

I kind of bought it sight unseen, but that’s what I think it is. When I called to ask if the my had a MKIV in stock, GA Firing Line told me they had a great condition used threaded MKIV 22/45 lite in silver. They wouldn’t hold it until I can get there Saturday and the price was good, so I paid for it with a credit card and will pick it up Saturday.

menhadenman

I’m looking a new new rabbit hole that I’m deciding if I should go down or not. Since the Ruger 22/45 lite that I’m picking up on Saturday is threaded…..

What would be a good first can without killing my budget? Rugged Oculus 22? Silencer Co Sparrow?
I have two 22 cans and wish I just bought a Mystic X first. Works great on that Ruger (got one of em) on up to a 9 mm. Easy to clean and made in Georgia.

Lilly001

that's confusing....they both do the same thing...how does one make more sense than the other?
Rimfire suppresors can be disassembled and cleaned. (.22 is real dirty)
Centerfire suppressors are usually welded baffles and are not able to be disassembled except for their end caps and front caps.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Rimfire suppresors can be disassembled and cleaned. (.22 is real dirty)
Centerfire suppressors are usually welded baffles and are not able to be disassembled except for their end caps and front caps.
yes Sir, but that doesn't have anything to do with Hollywood quiet sentence prior to that. That is why I asked.

longrangedog

that's confusing....they both do the same thing...how does one make more sense than the other?
Arrange to listen to someone shoot a suppressed centerfire with standard velocity ammo and you'll instantly realize that it is still a loud gunshot even though suppressed. The .22 is so quiet (with suppressor ammo) that the loudest sound coming from a Ruger 10-22 is the click-clack of the bolt cycling.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thank you, but I don't need to arrange with someone.
The reason your .22 suppressor is Hollywood quiet is because the majority of available ammo is subsonic and if it is just above supersonic in a rifle it will be subsonic in a pistol. I am not even sure why people buy subsonic ammo for a .22. If you run supersonic through your suppressor it won't matter if it is centerfire or not you will get a crack. If you run subsonic centerfire through a centerfire suppressor it is "Hollywood" quiet too. And when I do run supersonic through my centerfire suppressor I don't need the same amount of hearing protection that I did without it.

K80Shooter

I have the Silencer Co Sparrow and love it.

Reactions: LGB

Lilly001

Thank you, but I don't need to arrange with someone.
The reason your .22 suppressor is Hollywood quiet is because the majority of available ammo is subsonic and if it is just above supersonic in a rifle it will be subsonic in a pistol. I am not even sure why people buy subsonic ammo for a .22. If you run supersonic through your suppressor it won't matter if it is centerfire or not you will get a crack. If you run subsonic centerfire through a centerfire suppressor it is "Hollywood" quiet too. And when I do run supersonic through my centerfire suppressor I don't need the same amount of hearing protection that I did without it.
I have found what you say is true. But the sound produced is by the air displacement by the bullet. A larger bullet will produce a little more noise than a .22. Plus you have more gasses released by the center fire.
It is a substantial difference between suppressed and not, but (except for .22) it’s not IMHO “movie quiet “.