First time grouse hunting!

Moved back from Oklahoma, brought a beautiful GSP puppy back with us. I’m excited to get her out on some quail and hit the dove fields with her but I’m most intrested in hunting grouse in the mountains. Considering I live in the mountains I figured we’d be able to spend the most time chasing the elusive birds but I wanted to know how everyone else was doing it. I’ve spent a good time in the mountains bear hunting and I’ve heard plenty of them and seen a few by happen stance but never have tried to shoot one. What are some tips and tricks of knock one of these elusive birds down?

I also feel much more comfortable running my dog in the mountains during rifle season for deer than any other public. I don’t think I could handle her getting shot because of my own poor decisions.

Bigearl68

My suggestion is move back to Oklahoma if you really are interested in being a bird hunter.
If grouse is your game then head north. Way north! Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, and of course Maine.

Jake300win

My suggestion is move back to Oklahoma if you really are interested in being a bird hunter.
If grouse is your game then head north. Way north! Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, and of course Maine.
There are a few birds around. I moved a couple grouse last year didn't shoot one though. When woodcock season is in I would focus on that. Yes overall the bird hunting is better in other states.

NCMTNHunter

I don’t know about tips and tricks but the main thing is to put in the miles and the time. You just have to learn where a few are. And when you do you have to keep looking for new spots so you don’t pound out your old spots. Set your expectations low. You have to hunt like you could find one any minute and be content when you don’t find any at all.

LONGTOM

You and your dog will have a nice walk, enjoy the scenery and you might even put up a bird. you probably want need to carry a gun. I still take my Boykin occasionally mostly without my gun.

Rabun

I’ve kicked up a few the past couple of years in Rabun co. Was always November/December around creeks and springs moderate laurel cover and well off the beaten path. There’s a few out there, but not many. Pack a lunch and fishing pole and make a day of it. Pretty area up there, but rugged.

NCMTNHunter

I've been thinking on this since my first reply and came up with a few more things to throw at you.

If you have the time, access, ability to get your pup on more birds by quail hunting an area that has decent bird numbers make sure you spend more time doing that than grouse hunting. The reality is you are probably not going to get on enough grouse for your pup to even figure out that you are hunting for them. After 2, 3, 4, or 5 hunts in a row without a flush your pup is just going to think you are walking in the woods. I'm not saying don't grouse hunt at all this season but a bunch of 0 flush days could really put your pup behind.

Grouse like to run. If your dog points or even acts birdy and it doesn't result in a flush keep working your dog forward and into the wind. Half of my flushes are probably 100 - 150 yards from the first point. If your dog gets steady enough to handle it, it's good to loop around 100 yards or so and work back towards your dog (this is probably not going to happen your dogs first year). If you can get the bird between you and the dog it will help stop the running.

If you get a grouse in the air, shoot. I know this sounds silly but there are no "good" shots at grouse. If you wait on a good shot you will never shoot. You have to learn to get a shot off no matter what (unless there is a safety concern of course). Most of the time you are just shooting at that helicopter sound and a shadow zipping through the trees. If you do get a shot off, spend plenty of time looking for the bird. Many times you won't see the hit or the fall.

Jake300win

I've been thinking on this since my first reply and came up with a few more things to throw at you.

If you have the time, access, ability to get your pup on more birds by quail hunting an area that has decent bird numbers make sure you spend more time doing that than grouse hunting. The reality is you are probably not going to get on enough grouse for your pup to even figure out that you are hunting for them. After 2, 3, 4, or 5 hunts in a row without a flush your pup is just going to think you are walking in the woods. I'm not saying don't grouse hunt at all this season but a bunch of 0 flush days could really put your pup behind.

Grouse like to run. If your dog points or even acts birdy and it doesn't result in a flush keep working your dog forward and into the wind. Half of my flushes are probably 100 - 150 yards from the first point. If your dog gets steady enough to handle it, it's good to loop around 100 yards or so and work back towards your dog (this is probably not going to happen your dogs first year). If you can get the bird between you and the dog it will help stop the running.

If you get a grouse in the air, shoot. I know this sounds silly but there are no "good" shots at grouse. If you wait on a good shot you will never shoot. You have to learn to get a shot off no matter what (unless there is a safety concern of course). Most of the time you are just shooting at that helicopter sound and a shadow zipping through the trees. If you do get a shot off, spend plenty of time looking for the bird. Many times you won't see the hit or the fall.
Spray and pray lol. My wife and I put two up a few years back. One bird went my way the other went past her. I shot twice she shot five times. We both yell across the hill top did you get a bird we both yell back no...

Resica

I've mostly hunted grouse in Pa. without a dog. Occasionlly hunted with a great Brittany!! My experiences were that the birds flush way out when windy and hang tight when it's quiet, weird to me. Figured it would be the other way around.

Loved hunting those birds back when. I remember 1 day by myself in the Poconos that I had 34 flushes in 2 hours. I'm sure several were re flushes but it was amazing!!! Miss that time. Come to Pa., we still have grouse!

Thanks for all the replies! I definitely know that grouse will be few and far between. I will put her on quail when I find the time to run south. What are y’all’s opinions on shooting squirrels and rabbits over your bird dog? I don’t want to ruin her for bird hunting but I’m also itching to get out and put the hurt on some squirrels this coming week.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies! I definitely know that grouse will be few and far between. I will put her on quail when I find the time to run south. What are y’all’s opinions on shooting squirrels and rabbits over your bird dog? I don’t want to ruin her for bird hunting but I’m also itching to get out and put the hurt on some squirrels this coming week.
There ain't enough birds around here any more to justify a bird dog. Grouse and quail both used to be very plentiful when I was young, but now, grouse are scarce, and quail are completely gone.

I did have a beagle once that was an excellent rabbit dog, but he would also kind of halfway point grouse. I killed several with him.

Boondocks

You have to learn what is best for the dog not you. In Georgia that is dove and quail . Teach the dog to retrive dove and point quail. The only problem I see is where you going to hunt quail enough to train a dog and how many dove shoots will you go to a year?

You have to learn what is best for the dog not you. In Georgia that is dove and quail . Teach the dog to retrive dove and point quail. The only problem I see is where you going to hunt quail enough to train a dog and how many dove shoots will you go to a year?
I’ll be going to 4 or 5 probably, but I’m not quite comfortable enough with her progress to turn her loose in a massive field yet with 30 guys.

There ain't enough birds around here any more to justify a bird dog. Grouse and quail both used to be very plentiful when I was young, but now, grouse are scarce, and quail are completely gone.

I did have a beagle once that was an excellent rabbit dog, but he would also kind of halfway point grouse. I killed several with him.
I’ve been told before to just hunt with her and she will learn over time what we are doing on each given day but to overall just have fun with her.

I would agree we don’t have enough birds to hunt only birds. Truth be told we got her with the intentions of staying in OK for at least 5 or 6 more years. Then we turned around and moved back 2 weeks after we got her, I didn’t want to give her back to the breeder because dad has always beat into my head that we are a dogs forever home. So I just want to give her the best life possible as well as enjoying some bird hunting