Fix-It_Sticks

Jester896

Senior Clown
I picked up a set of Fix-It-Sticks with the individual torque limiters for an additional compact set tools. I have used the limiters a couple of times to mount scopes. The very first time I used the T10 bit to remove something the bit sheared on the second screw. The rail was put on with a Seekonk torque wrench and Locktite 242. The Locktite was heated on each screw prior to removal attempt to assist in removal. The bits seem pretty soft.

a little disappointed

01Foreman400

Staff member
I’ve looked at them for a couple of years but haven’t pulled the trigger.

ChidJ

Interesting. I've used the Fix It Sticks for a while. I've used one of the bigger hex bits to do 80 in lbs a LOT of times and it seems to be holding up just fine. Also used the torx bits for a number of scope mounts.

If yours are soft, thats unacceptable. Its an expensive bit of kit for what it is

Jester896

Senior Clown
replacements are $2.00 each plus shipping. They are not covered under warranty. The one from my Weaver torque wrench took them out no problem.

I have only used the Allens to torque stocks to 65 and the T15 for scope rings so far.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Some bits in all the various forms I've encountered are definitely much softer than others.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I don’t know the hardness grade but the bits I’ve had for decades leftover from working on planes are tough. The screw will fail before the bit does. The ones I buy in driver kits aren’t comparable.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I’ve got the Wheeler yellow torque driver - do those fix it sticks offer much more?
not really.. as far as torque wrenches. I had given my Fat Wrench to my buddy and all of a sudden didn't always trust the Weaver I have. It is also bulky and he had recently picked up the Fix-It-Sticks to carry with us on shoots so I grabbed one for the shop here. I chose the different limiters where he chose the adjustable one.

If you haven't looked at the product line it is pretty big. It even has a compact level kit for scopes...but one attaches to the rail and the other for the scope turret. I have one of their scope jacks in a cart with the sunshade for the new to me NSX and waiting to determine the rings I need.

bullgator

not really.. as far as torque wrenches. I had given my Fat Wrench to my buddy and all of a sudden didn't always trust the Weaver I have. It is also bulky and he had recently picked up the Fix-It-Sticks to carry with us on shoots so I grabbed one for the shop here. I chose the different limiters where he chose the adjustable one.

If you haven't looked a the product line it is pretty big. It even has a compact level kit for scopes...but one attaches to the rail and the other for the scope turret. I have one of their scope jacks in a cart with the sunshade for the new to me NSX and waiting to determine the rings I need.
I have the scope jack as well. I haven’t had any problem with their bits. I’ve twisted several screwdriver bits from my Wheeler kits.

Did you say you were using the Fix It Stix torque units to back out something or just the bit?

rosewood

no sir...just the bit, t-handle and the torch. I was sure it was only torqued to 20 in lb with 242
That bit was for tightening not loosening... designed to break off at the torque setting, you know, like some ground rod clamps. :) jk

Not gonna break off a screw with that thing are you?

Maybe buy some impact rated bits to use with it?

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
the ones that came with it are plated, the other ones I have are not. If all else fails I'll hook up the Snap-On 1/4" drive...if that one breaks the guy will replace the bit for me.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
the ones in the Brownell's bit sets are pretty tough too.
Took me a bit to remember the company. Apex made the bits we used on military aircraft. Saw you can get them on Amazon.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve had them break but under a punch of pressure. We used these with bit holders before drill drivers were around.IMG_1848.jpeg

rosewood

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Showin your age now... :) :)
I actually like those. You can loop your forearm through it and steadily increase pressure until the screw comes loose vs the impact if a driver. I use one now on vehicles and machinery when I‘m worried about the screw or nut head.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member