Florida woman, 32, is hospitalized with collapsed lungs after catching deadly infection from a venison BURGER

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
And yes I know to most that makes me some sort of monster who must be chastised and ridiculed. :p

Well, I would but it looks like you already took care of that so I'll refrain. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Seems to be some conflicting ideas on that. Did a search about freezing venison killing parasites. OSU says yes, CDC says no. I personally don't know the answer but I prefer no pink in venison. That said I prefer no pink in beef either. And yes I know to most that makes me some sort of monster who must be chastised and ridiculed. :p
This was from CDC's general page on toxoplasmosis:

• Freeze meat* for several days at sub-zero (0° F) temperatures before cooking to greatly reduce chance of infection. *Freezing does not reliably kill other parasites that may be found in meat (like certain species of Trichinella) or harmful bacteria. Cooking meat to USDA recommended internal temperatures is the safest method to destroy all parasites and other pathogens.

godogs57

I always cringe when folks order a burger less than medium well. Cook ground meat ALL THE WAY or you may find out why.
The sickest I've ever been in my life was food poisoning from an undercooked hamburger. At Hooters no less. I wanted to die so I could feel better. Puking and pooping my brains out for four days. Medium well to well done or I won't eat it.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Wow ! I just grilled 2 pounds of deer burgers this morning . I always take mine off a few minutes before the rest .
Serious question , what’s the difference in eating a half done deer burger vs a 1/4 done backstrap ?
right on what NC hillbilly said
The back strap or a steak the inside meat has not been exposed. So if cooked on the outside and the middle is rare suposibly bacteria gets killed.
When pieces of meat and fat are ground now every string coming out the grinder holes get exposed. Then when packed now theres bad bacteria in the middle. Make a burger patty and bad bacteria is in the middle. Cook that rare and suposibly you're eating bad bacteria. Cook it enough so inner temp is enough to kill bacteria and suposibly you're good to go.
Ant I am just repeating what our towns Bar and Grill owner and head chef has told me. Idk if that's scientific fact or not but I think she's very knowledgable and trustworthy. If n your ever up around Commerce holler at me and I'll take you there. She makes home made hamburger buns too.

Triple C

Every pack of ground that's ever been eaten with me in reaching distance has been missing a golf ball sized piece that I roll up raw and eat with a little salt.

No idea why but I started it as a kid. Probably kill me tomorrow
Haven’t done that in years but grew up with mama tearing off chucks of raw ground and putting on a saltine before handing to us kids to eat. Ate a boat load back then. Prolly bout the same as drinking from creeks back in the day…no issues. Not so today.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Haven’t done that in years but grew up with mama tearing off chucks of raw ground and putting on a saltine before handing to us kids to eat. Ate a boat load back then. Prolly bout the same as drinking from creeks back in the day…no issues. Not so today.

I am sure it'll catch up to me sooner or later. I'm about due :bounce:

Ihunt

I'll eat a T-bone still mooin', but burger meat gets cooked all the way...
Same here. I’ve eaten a few steaks that I wondered if they were cooked enough but I didn’t die and they were delicious

Bucaramus

right on what NC hillbilly said
The back strap or a steak the inside meat has not been exposed. So if cooked on the outside and the middle is rare suposibly bacteria gets killed.
When pieces of meat and fat are ground now every string coming out the grinder holes get exposed. Then when packed now theres bad bacteria in the middle. Make a burger patty and bad bacteria is in the middle. Cook that rare and suposibly you're eating bad bacteria. Cook it enough so inner temp is enough to kill bacteria and suposibly you're good to go.
Ant I am just repeating what our towns Bar and Grill owner and head chef has told me. Idk if that's scientific fact or not but I think she's very knowledgable and trustworthy. If n your ever up around Commerce holler at me and I'll take you there. She makes home made hamburger buns too.
I'm close to Commerce. What Bar and Grill is this?

furtaker

Burgers cooked all the way through or just a tiny shade of pink in the middle for me. I like beef steaks or deer tenderloin/backstrap cooked medium. I don't like anything raw in the middle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I still drink from the small creeks and springs here in the Smokies. Been doing it over half a century with absolutely no issues.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I want my meat and fish as well as oysters cooked shouldn’t ever have a problem with that
I like my steak seared on the outside and bloody on the inside. I love raw oysters, and also love them steamed, fried, or however. I love raw saltwater fish sushi, and also fried fish. I want my burgers done. I also would never eat raw freshwater fish.

slow motion

I like my steak seared on the outside and bloody on the inside. I love raw oysters, and also love them steamed, fried, or however. I love raw saltwater fish sushi, and also fried fish. I want my burgers done. I also would never eat raw freshwater fish.
Figure you know so what's the difference in the fresh and saltwater fish as to raw consumption.

Still looking for someone who sells oysters by the bushel. Gonna run some up there when I do. :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Figure you know so what's the difference in the fresh and saltwater fish as to raw consumption.

Still looking for someone who sells oysters by the bushel. Gonna run some up there when I do. :cheers:
Parasites and bacteria.

Live oysters here cost over a dollar apiece now.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I'm close to Commerce. What Bar and Grill is this?
Same here, live in Nicholson myself..Would like to know what BnG.

Right in the middle of old downtown commerce. if you're coming from Ingles and Chevy place side headed north on elm street it's on the right, just before you get to the middle of town red light.
It's called Commerce Bar and Grill. The local regulars usually just call it Lada's.
Lada. the owner, started that years ago. She has a great menu with appetizers and burgers. The best buffalo wings I think I've ever had anywhere. She has full entre's for supper if people want. A full bar. A lot of her stuff is her own inventions, lot of home made bread. It's fantastic, if y'all are that close then yes definetly go try!
Fri and Sat nights and Sunday lunch there's often no more place to sit though. Gotta time it right.

Buckstop

Love raw oysters and ate a mountain of them in the 80’s and 90’s. Was a commercial clammer and fisherman in those years and could get boxes of oysters for next to nothing from the local fish house. That changed after a case of vibrio from what seemed like an excellent batch of appalachicolas. Get it once and it’ll cure you from eating them raw ever again. Naturally occurring and more common in the warm months. Took a few weeks to get over it and dropped a good bit of weight before it was done. Steamed or fried only for me ever since.

furtaker

Love raw oysters and ate a mountain of them in the 80’s and 90’s. Was a commercial clammer and fisherman in those years and could get boxes of oysters for next to nothing from the local fish house. That changed after a case of vibrio from what seemed like an excellent batch of appalachicolas. Get it once and it’ll cure you from eating them raw ever again. Naturally occurring and more common in the warm months. Took a few weeks to get over it and dropped a good bit of weight before it was done. Steamed or fried only for me ever since.
Never heard of that but it sounds like something that won't let you leave the toilet.