Fly ID Question

F.A.R.R.

The single fly listed “Dec” is an Elk hair Caddis and is very good in March and April, that’s when they seem to be around the most either hatching or laying eggs- but it’s also a good attractor dry flies through the warmer months.

Your terrestrials ( Beatles, ants, grasshoppers) will be best during the summer time.

Any of the subsurface flies can be fished all year.

basshappy

BANNED
Everyone thank you. I realize the photos are not the best to show detail. I will reorganize them into smaller groups and provide better lighting.

My boy is hoping to get back to trout fishing Friday or next week so he is trying to find out if surface, sub surface, or sinking is best now. And trying to see if those vary by trout species. He caught almost all of his rainbow trout on a small fly that sunk to the bottom of the creek. Small or medium size trout both picked it up off the bottom. We were above them looking down on them and could see his fly lying on the rocks on the bottom.

Tight Lines

Everyone thank you. I realize the photos are not the best to show detail. I will reorganize them into smaller groups and provide better lighting.

My boy is hoping to get back to trout fishing Friday or next week so he is trying to find out if surface, sub surface, or sinking is best now. And trying to see if those vary by trout species. He caught almost all of his rainbow trout on a small fly that sunk to the bottom of the creek. Small or medium size trout both picked it up off the bottom. We were above them looking down on them and could see his fly lying on the rocks on the bottom.
Typically, nymphs (sub-surface) always work, and work best when not on the bottom but at the depth the trout are hanging...you want the nymph to look natural coming to them (drifting) at the depth they are vs. sitting on the bottom.

Dry flies typically work when there is a hatch coming off OR when you are using terrestrial or attractor patterns to get them to strike...such as hoppers, ants, beetles if there is no hatch coming off.

The easiest way to decide is if they are rising and hitting the emergers, then dry flies may work. If not, then I tend to use nymphs that you want to drift, or streamers (e.g. the wooly buggers) that you strip in while drifting...

Trout have to feed essentially continuously, this changes a bit with very hot or very cold water...but they have to eat and will eat nymphs most of the time if there is no hatch...

They try to conserve energy and eat what's easiest...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Dry flies and nymphs will both work well now. Don't get hung up on the month. Most of the flies he has will work great from April-October. Winter is mostly deep-dredging with nymphs. Species doesn't matter. Look at my last thread here- browns, rainbows, and native brooks on the same fly in the same creek.

Water conditions matter too, and the size of the creek. Small creeks usually always fish well with dry flies in the spring-fall unless the water is discolored. Nymphs are better in deeper or dingier water.

Again, the main thing with either is to make sure that the fly is moving at the same speed as the current, and not dragging or acting unnatural.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Also, it is REALLY hard to fish flies effectively with spinning gear. That boy needs a fly rod outfit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
flies.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Get that boy a fly rod and bring him up here camping in the Smokies one weekend sometime, and get up with me. I'll take y'all out and see if I can show him some stuff.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We have family in Maggie Valley and have fished around those parts. Thank you for amazing offer.
I live just a few miles from Maggie.

basshappy

BANNED
Yes EVERYONE I understand and do agree we need to get a fly rod. But man, that is another whole rabbit hole of length and size and lines etc etc. A bit overwhelming starting out. My boy lands most of his fish on affordable UglyStix. I do as well for that matter. Some of the fly rods ... WOW!!!! LOL. If he can whip that fly right now on his ugly spinner and land trout while I work on finding a fly setup that works. :)

basshappy

BANNED
I live just a few miles from Maggie.

We could do some fishin' for sure. And they own a restaurant there we could get some good eats.

BTW off topic but my boy asked his first girl to dance last year on a Saturday night at The Stompin Ground! What a sight that was watching him walk over to her and ask her in front of her parents if she'd like to dance. Hot dog! LOL. They danced together the rest of the night. Was a fun night for sure.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We could do some fishin' for sure. And they own a restaurant there we could get some good eats.

BTW off topic but my boy asked his first girl to dance last year on a Saturday night at The Stompin Ground! What a sight that was watching him walk over to her and ask her in front of her parents if she'd like to dance. Hot dog! LOL. They danced together the rest of the night. Was a fun night for sure.
Which restaurant?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes EVERYONE I understand and do agree we need to get a fly rod. But man, that is another whole rabbit hole of length and size and lines etc etc. A bit overwhelming starting out. My boy lands most of his fish on affordable UglyStix. I do as well for that matter. Some of the fly rods ... WOW!!!! LOL. If he can whip that fly right now on his ugly spinner and land trout while I work on finding a fly setup that works. :)
Just get a combo. You don't have to spend a fortune. You can't go wrong with a 9 foot 5 weight for general use. Redington, Cabelas, TFO, all have good entry-level rigs for not a lot of money. An Ugly stik is a great rod, but not for fly fishing.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Just get a combo. You don't have to spend a fortune. You can't go wrong with a 9 foot 5 weight for general use. Redington, Cabelas, TFO, all have good entry-level rigs for not a lot of money. An Ugly stik is a great rod, but not for fly fishing.
Cabelas' has a Pflueger "starter kit"... 8ft. #5/6 weight with backing and line for $59.99 & a White River Big Horn LE ... 9ft. #5 weight with backing and line for $79.97.

Tight Lines

If you sign him up for the Rizzio clinic, which is a half day on a Saturday, they give him a starter kit...I think it is typically in April on a Saturday...

Robust Redhorse

Wherever you live in Georgia, get with your closest Trout Unlimited chapter and get an application for next year's youth summer camp in Rabun county.

$2,000 would not touch the education, experience, and equipment your son will get for free, if your local chapter will give him a sponsorship.

huntfish

Join your local TU Chapter and you and your son will learn so much. And more than likely get similar invitations to fish, cast lessons etc. KS Bow Hunter mentioned the Sam Rizzio Clinic.

Also, GA TU has a summer Trout Camp that you definitely need to look into. Kids go home fully loaded with everything needed to get started with fly fishing and some learn from some of the best in the state.

Tight Lines

As other's have said...you don't need to spend a lot on a rod. The biggest difference is in quality, R&D, fit and finish, and warranty. And where it is made.

My kids started with Echo starter kits, and until they get a little better, there is no need for anything more...and if they want more expensive rods they can buy them when they have jobs...

9' 5 wt. or 8' 4 wt. is great for a starter rod...I think I heard once that something like 75% of all fly rods sold were 9' 5 wt. Shorter rods have a purpose, and I have a couple, but I fish primarily with 7'9" - 9' 3-6 wts. I have some smaller rods that I backpack with, and all of my rods are at least 3 pc. up to 6 pc. because I want to carry them on airlines or backpack with them. 2 pc. is typically too long for an overhead bin and catches trees when on your pack.

The more expensive rods typically are made in the USA, have a lot of R&D behind them, and have a better fit and finish...and probably most importantly most have a no questions asked replacement warranty. Which is nice when you shut the rod in a trunk, car door, or cabin door. Which I may have done... :)

With that said, you don't NEED those rods to have fun and catch fish...fly rods are like shotguns...you can hunt with an old 870, or kill birds with a $10,000 SxS. The bird is still dead.

I don't know who is making them in the US for sure these days, but Sage, Winston, and a few others do...I try to buy domestic whenever I can personally.

To me they are heirlooms, and investments that my kids will get someday...so I have some of the higher end ones.

With that said, even though I have some newer rods probably 90% of my fishing is with a Sage that is from the late 90s. 8' 9" 5 wt. 5 pc. with an extra tip. Going on 25 years old and still my favorite.

Last edited:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Just checking back and wondered about an update.