Fort Stewart First Time

JR924

I see the current thread but did not want to hijack it. I live in NW metro Atllanta. I want to do a hog hunt in Feb. I am 63 years old GA resident, non-veteran, have general hunting license and will be hunting with 50 cal muzzleloader or 44 magnum rifle (whatever is legal but thinking the 44 mag rifle is not legal.) No dogs. Not sure of information I am getting on searches so asking here.

1. Anything I need to do before I show up? Courses to take? Reservations? Phone calls?
2. Do I check in and where? Do I need a sticker or tag from Ft Stewart on my truck.
3. Can I hunt with my 44 magnum rifle? Looks like a muzzleloader is OK.
4. Any recommended areas to hunt for a first timer?
5. Any tips, additional requirements etc so I don't make the drive for nothing?
6. Any other areas to hunt hogs close to me?

Thank you in advance.

Guitar Guy

As has been pointed out - it's all through isportsman. Yes, there are a few hoops to jump through, but it's not too bad once you look at all of the information and digest it. My advice - read all of the rules and available information, and then read it all again several times. At some point, I am going to hunt there this year for the first time. My plan is to make a checklist of all of the rules and procedures for hunting there, and I will refer back to that before, during, and after each day's hunt.

stick-n-string

Download Avenza map app. Then get the Ft Stewart app for .99¢. It really helps with navigating. Also, don't forget to check and see what areas are open, because they open and close daily and in order to go down a road at least one side has to be open.

Hope this helps.

Guitar Guy

Download Avenza map app. Then get the Ft Stewart app for .99¢. It really helps with navigating. Also, don't forget to check and see what areas are open, because they open and close daily and in order to go down a road at least one side has to be open.

Hope this helps.

This is a great tip. I use OnX to navigate offline, but the thing that makes it tricky for Ft. Stewart is that OnX doesn't have a training area overlay. Does the Avenza map have the training areas on it?

stick-n-string

This is a great tip. I use OnX to navigate offline, but the thing that makes it tricky for Ft. Stewart is that OnX doesn't have a training area overlay. Does the Avenza map have the training areas on it?

I attached a screenshot of it. It is the paper map on a gps format. It's a game changer. It shows you where you are, you can mark waypoints, measure distance, has a compass. Literally has everything you need to navigate on the road and in the woods.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220213-103812.png
    Screenshot_20220213-103812.png
    989.6 KB · Views: 34

Guitar Guy

I attached a screenshot of it. It is the paper map on a gps format. It's a game changer. It shows you where you are, you can mark waypoints, measure distance, has a compass. Literally has everything you need to navigate on the road and in the woods.

Oh man - total game changer. I just downloaded it. I spent hours yesterday drawing training area boundaries in OnX for areas that look good to hunt - mainly because I didn't want to screw up and end up in the wrong training area. This is a perfect navigation tool to keep me out of trouble. Thank you very much for sharing this tip.

tracker12

Hope this helps.
What Ft Stewart App are you referring to? The map on avenza?

DM9L21L13

I too will be making a first trip over there this year (early November for 10 days) and hoping to get some insight to what area's are hotter than others. We will also be hunting deer too. I tried to look at their harvest reports but the website is down.

what I have been doing is looking at the map: https://ftstewart.isportsman.net/Open/AreaMap.aspx as well as the daily check in's (https://ftstewart.isportsman.net/Areas.aspx) to see if there are area's people are checking in regularly.

I know its very different hunting in February vs November. Ill take your advise and download the app with the added map.

Any recommended areas to hunt for a first timer?
Any tips, additional requirements etc so I don't make the drive for nothing?
Is there better public land or local farmers who need help getting rid of pigs or deer?