Found! Good Persimmon Grafting Wood

Jim Boyd

That's an amazing feeling, isn't it?

If you mean the budding of new trees from old - the answer is absolutely

I am standing in awe of the process.

If it works like it looks like it might, I may have 30-40 fruit producing clone trees that were previously male and produced no fruit.

My thanks to you and others for the guidance.

Kdog

Looks great Jim! Going to be a couple weeks before I can go see mine. Will plan to put some supports on mine by the time I get up there.

Jim Boyd

Looks great Jim! Going to be a couple weeks before I can go see mine. Will plan to put some supports on mine by the time I get up there.

Do you just zip tie a stick to trunk or something?

Do u have any images, sir?

The only one I had that “took” last year got broken off by wind or bird?

I am super excited about the whole process.

I am gonna be very intentional about collecting scions this winter.

Can’t wait to see your progress!

Jim Boyd

These fell off of a giant tree by the house.

At first I thought wind and rain had knocked them out but they are not green like the other viable fruits.

Any ideas?

Kdog

Do you just zip tie a stick to trunk or something?

Do u have any images, sir?

The only one I had that “took” last year got broken off by wind or bird?

I am super excited about the whole process.

I am gonna be very intentional about collecting scions this winter.

Can’t wait to see your progress!
Yep, just zip tie them or use more electrical tape to secure them to the trunks. No pics but will try to remember to take some pics when I do it.

weagle

Looks like the ones I did this year are going to take. All of them have buds that are pushing and a couple have opened up. I'm pretty stoked and thanks to Kdog and this thread for bird dogging a source for good scions. IMG_5201.JPEGIMG_5200.PNGIMG_5199.PNG

Jim Boyd

Jim Boyd

That's a great start! I grafted a few this weekend. I hope I get that kind of result.

The Fuyu’s we shared took more easily and more rapidly than the Meador’s did.

I am gonna watch the Fuyu but next spring, I am gonna concentrate on more Meador and a few wild trees that have a lot of fruit.

Fun project.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Fuyu’s we shared took more easily and more rapidly than the Meador’s did.

I am gonna watch the Fuyu but next spring, I am gonna concentrate on more Meador and a few wild trees that have a lot of fruit.

Fun project.
The Meaders are much better for deer. The Fuyus tend to just hang on, and I've haven't seen much indication of deer picking them off the tree. My Meaders and Yates get hammered every year.

Jim Boyd

The Meaders are much better for deer. The Fuyus tend to just hang on, and I've haven't seen much indication of deer picking them off the tree. My Meaders and Yates get hammered every year.

I am thinking the answer is yes, but come the winter, can I harvest scions from some of the Meador’s I grafted this spring?

I think I would like to do some of my wild trees also - I have an unlimited supply of scions there.

I am sure we will chat about them but I would be more than happy to share - if someone needs scions.

I am not cocky about it but it looks like the mystery is gone and the process is easy!

Jim Boyd

My best suspect this week. This is one of the Meadors from @SCDAWG.

Some don’t look so great.

Maybe 60-65% success rate thus far.

IMG_5443.jpeg

Last edited:

weagle

Just got down to my property again today and it looks like all of my grafts are taking off. It's amazing how much more successful things are when you actually follow the advice that's given by the folks that know what they are doing.

IMG_5270.JPEGIMG_5269.JPEGIMG_5268.JPEGIMG_5267.JPEG

Jim Boyd

Kdog

Now that you have some good growth, I recommend that you get some supports on them to prevent storm damage. A good strong wind can break that new growth right off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member