Free Boat Advice

2LazyHounds

Hello everyone. A buddy of mine is moving and has an old jon boat that's just been collecting leaves in his back yard. It needs a motor and some TLC (cleaned, painted, etc.) but he's willing to give it to me for free. It's 14 feet long and 48 inches at its widest point. He never put it in the St. Marys river because he said it was too small and he didn't want to get beat up. Anyone have an opinion on that? I'd just be looking to fish some back water creeks with my wife and daughter and maybe drop a few crab pots. Thanks!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Should be OK if you go by boating safety requirements, rigged right and maybe some floatation installed under the seats if possible. If not experienced, would team up with someone who is.

GA1dad

Are you getting a bill of sale in the deal? Even though it is free, getting a bill of sale with the hull ID number on it is a good idea.

2LazyHounds

Are you getting a bill of sale in the deal? Even though it is free, getting a bill of sale with the hull ID number on it is a good idea.
Oh yeah, we’re going to make sure we do all the paperwork right and everything. I guess really what I’m asking is do y’all think it’s enough boat for fishing the St Marys.

GeorgiaBob

I wouldn't want to be on the Cumberland Sound on a windy day in a 14' jon boat. But with a good 6 to 15 horse outboard, any structurally sound 14' jon boat would be perfectly safe to use on the St Marys River. I think you could get used to the wakes of speeding boats and the often insistent tides and find many good places to fish.

I have been up the North River, all the way to the fence at the Navy Base, and there are a few spots that only the very small draft of a jon boat could get you into great fishing. Up the St Marys River, west of Hwy 17, there are several places the river narrows and the tide plus current can get really pushy and awkward. Be careful in those places and all the rest of the river should be nothing but fun.

2LazyHounds

I wouldn't want to be on the Cumberland Sound on a windy day in a 14' jon boat. But with a good 6 to 15 horse outboard, any structurally sound 14' jon boat would be perfectly safe to use on the St Marys River. I think you could get used to the wakes of speeding boats and the often insistent tides and find many good places to fish.

I have been up the North River, all the way to the fence at the Navy Base, and there are a few spots that only the very small draft of a jon boat could get you into great fishing. Up the St Marys River, west of Hwy 17, there are several places the river narrows and the tide plus current can get really pushy and awkward. Be careful in those places and all the rest of the river should be nothing but fun.
Thanks! I figured I’d have to pick my battles out there. But hey, more boat than I have right now. I’d probably launch from Crooked River and stick to north of the base.

GA1dad

Oh yeah, we’re going to make sure we do all the paperwork right and everything. I guess really what I’m asking is do y’all think it’s enough boat for fishing the St Marys.

Gotcha,, a free boat is a free boat,,, even if it isn't ideal. It could later be sold to help fund an upgrade if it doesn't work for ya.

Doboy Dawg

My first boat was a 14’ Duracraft Jon boat I found sunk in the Altamaha River. We cleaned it out and towed it back to the boat ramp. It was beat up a little and had quite a few rivets that leaked.

I called the Sheriffs office and had them run the hull ID# to see if it had been reported stolen. After 30 days I was able to get it registered to me.

I had the kids in the welding shop at the high school weld up all the rivets on the bottom. It didn’t cost me a dime. My brother in law got me some tan tank paint from the army base, good stuff, couldn’t wear it out.

I found me a used but rusty trailer for $50. I sandblasted it and painted it. Replaced the wheel bearings and tires. By the time I had it fixed I had about $250 in it.

I picked up a old Evinrude 9.9 for $250. It cost me about $50 in parts to get it going and painted. I bought a new trolling motor and battery for it.

I fished many rivers, creeks, and lakes with it over the next two years. I had a guy at work offer me $1,500 for it. I said it’s yours!

I put that on a down payment on a nice used Boston Whaler and started Movin on up.

Free is free, I surely wouldn’t turn it down!

flconch53

I just bought a 6hp motor for an old 14ft vhull I pulled out of the swamp. Put in new seats and repaired the transom. I will have to pick my days but I will be on the watet

zedex

Gator Bait
No doubt a bigger boat would be better, but free is free.

When lived down there, I had several boats, including a 12ft/15hp tinny. I fished the Darien, Brunswick and St Mary's rivers among others with that little boat. To be fair, I did have to pick and choose when to go and I didn't wander too far out.

That little boat was the perfect in the lesser rivers and creeks.

Your boat should do you well. On bad days, ride along the shorelines and slip into the lesser, protected waterways.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I don’t know bout the river but I had a sears gamefisher 14 foot that we pulled the plug as still couldn’t sink it with ten of us trying to. It went to the rim so we rolled it over but refused to sink so we had to give up trying.?

FloppinBob

Thanks! I figured I’d have to pick my battles out there. But hey, more boat than I have right now. I’d probably launch from Crooked River and stick to north of the base.
I’ve been out in the Cumberland sound in the same size boat. Also had a Nuclear sub go by near Ft Clinch while in the boat. I pushed up on the finger jetties because the Coast Gaurd made me, but we never had a problem. We just watched the weather.