from mature forest to a food plot... updated

Kdog

It's getting there man and that lime you are planning on putting out will help. Good seeing you again and hope those Dunstan's get in the ground soon.

bilgerat

Senior
I think it said annual rye grass but cant remember the name,
I tossed the bags

Last edited:

Gut_Pile

Hopefully it's not too thick. Rye grass is well, just that, a grass and not very desirable to deer and other animals. But, don't let that worry you too much. You have lot of other good food in there too.

Just know you might battle some of that rye grass later on if it gets established. Also, try to avoid it in the future.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I called Athens seed and found out it dosent have any rye grass, Has cereal rye and Millet

I was going to say I can't imagine Athens Seed putting grass seed in a wildlife mix. Your plot looks excellent. Have the animals started hitting it yet? I can't imagine the beans making it very much further down the road.:bounce:

bilgerat

Senior
I didnt see any evidence of them hitting it yet , a few tracks in it but I think its so muddy that they dont like sinking in the mud and getting it stuck all over their hooves, I Walked 5 feet into it on saturday and had 10lbs of mud on each boot.. I put a camera out but put a bad sd card in it and it didnt take any pics:banginghe

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I didnt see any evidence of them hitting it yet , a few tracks in it but I think its so muddy that they dont like sinking in the mud and getting it stuck all over their hooves, I Walked 5 feet into it on saturday and had 10lbs of mud on each boot.. I put a camera out but put a bad sd card in it and it didnt take any pics:banginghe

When they find those beans they will fill up your SD card with pics.:bounce::rockon:

Meriwether Mike

Looking great. Your off to a good start!

bilgerat

Senior
When they find those beans they will fill up your SD card with pics.:bounce::rockon:
Im gonna move My Spartan over to the plot this weekend and throw some more lime out, Put 500lbs out last week, only 1500 more to gofacepalm:

bilgerat

Senior
well the iron n clay peas are all but gone but the millet, soybeans ,sun flowers and sorghum are doing great and are starting to seed out, In a few weeks i plan on bush hogging a few laps around the perimeter and one down the center to get ready to shoot some dove birds , fp 8 12.jpg

Kdog

Have shotguns will travel. If I get my truck fixed this weekend....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sweet! You done good for your first try and when you cut all that down it will make an excellent soil amendment to boot. Good luck with the doves!