Fungus on my crepe myrtles

Jody Hawk

Hey folks I need some help. I'm about ready to cut down these dadgum crepe myrtles. I either am fighting Japanese beetles or a fungus. Earlier this year the beetles were all over them. I sprayed them and now the beetles are gone but the leaves have turned black with a fungus all over them. Anybody else out there experienced this?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Crepe Myrtles

Jody, as you suggested, you can see the Jap Beetles and can then deal with them.

Not quite the case with the black smut on your Crepe Myrtle leaves. You never see the culprit that causes the smut. At some earlier point (spring and/or early summer) you have had an infestation of Aphids. The Aphids, while feeding on tender leaves and buds, have secreted a sticky, syrupy substance (sugars) onto the leaf surfaces.

Over time, this sticky, syrupy substance known as "honey dew", is a perfect culture on which fungus can thrive. The black fungus is the end result of the Aphids having been there earlier.

There is little that you can do for the problem unless the trees were very small and reachable. In that case you could mix a bucket of soapy water and rub the smut off of each leaf with a cloth or soft brush.

There is no lasting ill effect from just ignoring the problem. The smut stops up leaf pores and interferes with the function of the leaf. It also will interfere with photosynthes since it will intercept some sunlight. The end result might be loss of vigor, but would not cause loss of the tree.

The Japanese Beetles are the more serious problem since they concentrate on eating your blossoms. Without the blossoms you may as well have an oak tree growing there.

SADDADDY

dang bugs

I have the same problem with my myrtles, but they seem to be doing fine after I cut them back and the new growth took over, they looked pretty bad after I cut them, but now they are looking pretty good.

maybe give them a good pruning :cool:

Jody Hawk

Vernon,
I went out and checked my trees and see exactly what you are talking about. Thousands of small tiny flying insects all over the underside of the leaves and what looks to be that many more eggs !!!!! I noticed the sticky substance that you described was all over my driveway under each tree last year when I went through this same problem.I guess all that I can do is treat them with insecticide throughout the summer to keep the Aphids off of them? Thanks Vernon.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Jody, I'm not sure though Sevin Dust and/or Liquid Sevin will probably get rid of them. I'd also wait till a Jan to Mar time frame to prune them back.