Galvan T5

Taxman

Anyone have any experience with this reel? I am trying to match a
reel to my son's new Birthday 5wt NRX.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I have no experience with $350 reels. Unless you're fishing for tarpon, you probably will do just as well with a much less expensive one. A reel around here is a line holder.

I have never owned a rod, reel, and line together that cost as much as that reel. My first several vehicles cost about that much. :) Not trying to be smart, just a fact.

Taxman

Lol:). He lives on west coast. Wanted to get him something with a good drag system that he can use with some larger fish. Hoping I can pick him up a good used Ross
or Galvan. I can buy a good Chinese reel for 100 or a fine American made used reel for 275.

Dang, now that I think about it, if I send him a Chinese made reel, next thing I know he will be shopping at Walmart or the Dollar store!!! Hopefully you mountain boys won't have to live through having to go to Walmart or a Dollar store!! Ohoopee got a dollar store in 2013 and it's been downhill since. lol

TomC

If it's a Galvan its good and the T-5 IS A TOP NOTCH REEL!!! The Rush Light if you don't need drag.

Rebel's Dad

What a fine gift; it might be one of those things he'd never spring for himself. They're little gems--and made in the US by a family business. Using a tool of such quality is a pleasure and a reward in itself.

Taxman

I only have one modern reel. An Einarsson 3 plus. The rest are Sage and Orvis classic click and pawl. Does the Galvan or Ross have the click, pawl sound?

Thank you.

Kent

Galvans are as good as they get! Indestructible quality, made in US, family-owned, excellent customer service. They don't advertise much or hype the product, but they are the real deal.

Torque and Rush have identical drags and innards Difference is made in how much machining (hence how much weight reduction) is done on the body. Spools are actually interchangable between the two.

Taxman

Found this nice little "Brookie" reel!! Just couldn't pass it up.
Classic "click & pawl" sound. Im sure it sings when they start running
up the creek!!!!:))). Einarsson 3 plus. A beautiful piece of equipment. I had it shipped from another forum friend in Canada directly to my son in CA so I wouldn't be tempted to switch my silver one out for this red one.

Attachments

• einarsson red.jpeg
    einarsson red.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

dfutato

You can't beat any of the Galvan reels. I have two of the old Standards, one old large arbor, and a Brookie. They aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than anything else I've found of comparable quality. Two of mine have been used heavily for trout, steelhead, bass, and pike without a hitch. Customer service is incredible too. My brother in law slipped and fell on his years ago. Galvan sent him a new one without question, despite the reel being out of production.

Taxman

Thank you all. I currently use bamboo and vintage reels the exception being nymping. I haven't looked at modern reels in a long time until my son needed one.
The Galvan was my top choice until I had the opportunity to pick up the Einarsson.
I just sold a Hardy perfect today to pay for the Einarsson and spool. The Perfect sold for 450 in about 5 minutes.

Latest posts