Georgia resident working in South Carolina income tax question

oldfella1962

Hi folks! I've been super busy with my sick wife, so not much posting.
But I will explain a SPECIFIC situation with my daughter-in-law. She is a Georgia resident who works in South Carolina but USED TO work in Georgia. So for about four months of the 2023 tax season
she worked in Georgia, and the other eight months of the 2023 tax season she worked (and it still working) in South Carolina.
She is NOT a South Carolina resident. South Carolina took out state & Federal taxes as indicated on her W-2. I assume that she must pay South Carolina income tax, but because she is - and has always been - a Georgia resident does she have to pay Georgia state income tax - or even a small percentage of Georgia state taxes - for the work she did in South Carolina?
She did actual physical work in South Carolina, not remote work, if this matters at all. Any advice?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
If both states took out taxes, she'll have to file in both states. Not sure about SC, but I know GA has a box to check to indicate income was earned and taxed in another state. I had to file in OK and GA for last year...similar circumstances. If she uses Turbo Tax, it'll walk her through that process.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If she earned income in both states she will be required to pay taxes in both states on the income earned in that state. Both states have equalization methods.

Latest posts