Getting into reloading

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think the best thing to do is find a couple of good mentors and put your hands on as many different pieces of equipment you can to see what will work for you best. It doesn't really matter what works best for me or anyone else...it matters what works best for you. Another + to that is you don't have to buy it to find out you don't like it.

I have an RCBS Rockchucker...it is a solid piece of equipment but has some drawbacks...spent primers being the main one for me...so I have adapted it more like the Redding and a few others with spent primers.

I think I would really like one of the Redding Boss series presses better and really only for the way they deal with spent primers. I think I would also really like the offset they have over the RCBS straight type frame.

I have a Forster Co-Ax and I can say enough good things about it...but it is different than D frame presses and takes some getting used to.

I have a Redding Turret press that I don't really use...good stuff though...I could see using it more for specific tasks...especially when I have more time to devote to it.

I also have a Dillon 550 and can't say enough good things about it for a turret type mass production application.

None of this really matters because it would all hinge on what you intend to do with your setup.

I would suggest that you not start out with a turret or progressive press until you are familiar with single stage and what all of the individual steps are rather than watching all of the steps at once.

I would also say start on rifle before pistol.