Giving thanks - my son's surgery went well

bruceg

I thought I had posted, but don't see it - so must have gotten sidetracked. First - I need to give thanks to God for helping my son through his surgery. I need to thank people on this forum for their prayers. I strongly believe that prayers are listened to and answered in God's time and in his way.

Surgery was on the 2nd. We arrived at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at 6:00AM. They wheeled him in at 8:00. One of the nurses called every 45 minutes or so with progress reports. We expected a call around 2:30, no call. We waited until 3:15. No call. I flagged down a nurse for an update. We finally got a call around 4:00PM or so that surgery was complete and he was doing well. (Phew!!!!! I thought the worse when we went so long without a call - but they were just finishing up and getting him settled in recovery).

A friend of my wife's came and stayed with us for the day. We both really appreciated the company.

I took the week as vacation, and stayed in the hospital for the week. My wife bunked on the couch (it folded out). I slept on a chair (it didn't recline! Ouch! Times a week!). But we were there for my son, not for fine napping chairs.

The nursing staff was great. The doctors were great.

My son ended up getting a disk removed, have a spacer put in. Getting some screws and a rod, and getting a bone graft. A LOT of work for a 13 year old boy!

They had him get up and walk to a chair the day after surgery. The next day he walked a little further. The day after he walked down a hallway with a friend that came to visit. The day we left he walked a flight of stairs with a physical therapist.

We got home and got him settled in. The next morning he woke up and had to go to the bathroom. I helped him get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. I left the door partially open. e called out in a frantic voice that he couldn't see! His pupils were huge! I got him back in bed and my wife called an oncall nurse.

We headed back to the ER and found out he was dehydrated. They gave him an IV, and four hours later we were heading back out the door. I dug out a 32 ounce bottle and kept it full of ice water, making sure he drank a minimum of 64 ounces a day.

He had his checkup today. Since this had been going on so long, he lost bone density and a lot of muscle mass. He has to wear a brace while he is up until his back heals (about three months). We can start walking farther now. We went outside and walked a little bit - he enjoyed getting out at night and watching fireflies. We have to limit sitting (it puts a lot of pressure on his back). The doctor recommended standing, walking, spending time in the pool (but no swimming, flailing about or diving for three months or more) and lounging!

I tried to convince my wife that lounging means we have a doctors order to get a lazy boy recliner. That didn't fly.

My wife's friend made a lot of food for our two older sons, and made dinner for us a lot! She also did a LOT of work around the house - work my wife couldn't do (she has muscular dystrophy), and work I didn't do (my version of a clean kitchen, bathroom and windows is very different than hers). We need to do something nice for her. We also need to remember how much we appreciated it, and do the same for someone else in need.

We are working on plans to go camping once he is in good shape. My son and I are planning a father-son camping trip in November or December, maybe a quick run down to Port St. Joe or St George Island.

Anyway, he is doing well. Thank you to everyone that offered thoughts, prayers and good wishes.

georgia357

Glad to hear the the surgery went good. Sounds like your wife has a very special friend, ones like that are few and far between.
Prayers sent for continued improvements.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Glad to hear he is on the mend. Prayers continue for him.

StriperAddict

Praise God, glad things are working out for him.

Sorry the 'lazy boy recliner' idea didn't work !

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
prayers sent for continuing progress

Mackey

Bruce,
Thanks for that detailed praise report. I hate it when I don't know what we are praising (like it is any of my business anyway). I'm just glad the your son is doing so well. He will stay in my prayers for a full recovery.