Goals for 2023-24

DynamicDennis

What is everyone's deer hunting goals this season?? I will say mine is to hunt and kill a more mature buck than last year, in the areas I have been working hard to find and manicure. Would be great if the rack was bigger, but realistically I just wanna drag the heaviest buck up to the scale at hunting camp. Not as a competition, but gotta set goals. Would like to get my wife her first deer, she has put in her time raising the kids for the last 18 years. Probably won't shoot any does this year, but I might try to get a doe with my 10mm. And last of all, just enjoy all the sunrises and sunsets up in the woods.

Big7

The Oracle
TRY, and that is a big TRY, to learn to hunt public land without getting shot. :bounce: This will be my first year, and I'll be going solo.

Then, at least a couple of doe to eat and maybe a decent buck so I can at least call my first year on public land a success.

mtclev5651

What is everyone's deer hunting goals this season?? I will say mine is to hunt and kill a more mature buck than last year, in the areas I have been working hard to find and manicure. Would be great if the rack was bigger, but realistically I just wanna drag the heaviest buck up to the scale at hunting camp. Not as a competition, but gotta set goals. Would like to get my wife her first deer, she has put in her time raising the kids for the last 18 years. Probably won't shoot any does this year, but I might try to get a doe with my 10mm. And last of all, just enjoy all the sunrises and sunsets up in the woods.
I love that you posted this and many do not like to speak on goals because they certainly can let you down

BUT

I am sticking with my northeast ga goal that I have spoke to many friends about. I aim to tag one (hopefully two) mature bucks that break 125 inches or each season….. if the top target is an old buck like the drop tine I have posted a bunch here, the 125 mark isn’t the big deal.

menhadenman

I hope to get my 8 year old his first deer since his brother and sister are already on the board.

I’d also like for one of us (hopefully a kid) to get this mature mountain buck we’ve seen the last two years. My middle kid (10) had him at about 25 yards in ‘21 but he never stepped into our shooting lane. We saw him again last year maybe 3 times on camera. I sure hope he’s still out there somewhere.

I also have an elk tag (WY) to fill and would like to stack a bear and a hog here in GA. The superfecta, I know it can be done.

Good luck to everyone, I’m headed out to scout right now.

83CE0129-86DE-43BE-9EFE-D0E39B8BDE89.jpeg

DynamicDennis

I hope to get my 8 year old his first deer since his brother and sister are already on the board.

I’d also like for one of us (hopefully a kid) to get this mature mountain buck we’ve seen the last two years. My middle kid (10) had him at about 25 yards in ‘21 but he never stepped into our shooting lane. We saw him again last year maybe 3 times on camera. I sure hope he’s still out there somewhere.

I also have an elk tag (WY) to fill and would like to stack a bear and a hog here in GA. The superfecta, I know it can be done.

Good luck to everyone, I’m headed out to scout right now.

View attachment 1248292
Good luck, looks like a tough old opponent

buckpasser

No goals for this year. Just gonna hunt with my kids all that is humanly possible. I still have two stand locations to finish up and the table should be set for another year of memories.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My goal is to hunt as much as I can and enjoy that time with my friends.

rstallings1979

Last year was such a great year with my 9 year old killing a beautiful 8 pt I am not sure how I can top it. I hope I can get my 7 year old a little more interested in hunting. He is a little more timid with a gun that has recoil and not as keen on getting up early like his older brother.

I have a few nice ones bouncing around the Illinois property I bowhunt in November so I hope I get a crack at one of them and assuming things go as planned my oldest will be in the tree with me this November. We have one that could be close to a Booner but he is likely just shy of it once the velvet falls off. He will be close though.

My Georgia Farm hasn't shown any indications of having a big mature deer setting up shop on it just yet but that could change in the next 4-6 weeks when patterns change. There is a neighboring Peanut Field and I suspect a few big boys are hanging out close to it right now. Last year the big 8 my son killed never really left our property all summer or into the fall and seemed to be living in a 100 acre area so we knew he was there and we knew we may get a crack at him. It worked out opening weekend of youth. At this point with the deer we have on cams I think we will manage does or see if I can get my 7 year old his first deer. All the 2.5 and 3.5 year olds need to make it through another year.

Last edited:

Ace1313

My goal is to try and get my son on a 4 year old or older deer. I have already set the stands up and am going to work on the groundblind set this weekend. My next goal is to try and find another piece of land to hunt as we are in the process of selling my home and will be looking for something more long term than the permission places I currently have.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My goal this season is to get back to the true essence of deer hunting, like we hunted back around 60 years ago. Kill to put meat in the freezer, to enjoy the hunt, to carry on the tradition, and realize that if you kill a big buck, it is icing on the cake.