Gobbler just sat down and died!

Pilgrim

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. So sad to hear this. We used to be covered up this time of year at our place in Jones Co; haven't heard a gobble this season. Haven't seen a turkey there since about two weeks before the season.

wooly

Hope you have shared this story with the DNR. Or even better there is a group at UGA that does some great investigative work on Turkeys.
I don't have there number but I'm sure it would be easy to look them up.
Congrats on the find!
?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Just found this thread, and I'm very interested the the results too. I built my house on 12 acres in 1992 and it's the newest house in 3 miles in any direction so habitat loss is not a problem here. Had started blaming it on yotes showing up, and maybe fire ants attacking nest. But I used to have 3 "herds" of hens ranging between 80 and 120 birds each and 5 packs of toms 5 to 11 each. I haven't seen a hen in 4 years and only have 2 sets of toms now, one with 3 and one with 5 in them.

cowhornedspike

Hope you have shared this story with the DNR. Or even better there is a group at UGA that does some great investigative work on Turkeys.
I don't have there number but I'm sure it would be easy to look them up.
Congrats on the find!
?

Bobby Bond (3 posts above yours) IS the DNR turkey guy and he took it to UGA for testing.

Turkeytider

The fact that two were found without any outward signs of trauma would make a toxin or disease the most probable culprits I would guess. Unfortunately, those would probably hit the hens too.

deerslayer357

Just found this thread. Very interested to hear what they determine cause was. Please keep us posted

Timber1

BANNED
Lol......yeah I'm not much of a threat these days.
You should come up here. I know where a couple of birds are hanging out. Kinda tough going with all the blow downs from the storms though. Getting so green that the birds dont show til they are 10-15 yards out. Makes for some tense man.

Last edited by a moderator:

back_woods

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. So sad to hear this. We used to be covered up this time of year at our place in Jones Co; haven't heard a gobble this season. Haven't seen a turkey there since about two weeks before the season.
Where abouts is your club in jones county? There is probly what I would guess to be about 20k acres in the area around my club that the dirt roads all connect, havent seen much of a turkey in years

Gadget

No word yet, hope to hear soon. We killed two gobblers this season, and found these two dead. The two 1,000+ acre tracts boarder us in that area have killed 1 gobbler between them.

Gadget

Heading down today to hunt the last morning. Maybe I can get lucky, found one wanting to play last weekend, hopefully he's still willing and ready tomorrow morning

BBond

Just got the Report.

They state death is most likely Trauma. Lymphoproliferative disease and reticuloendotheliosis virus testing is pending, and results will follow in an addendum when available.

1589552894207.png