Good News: Bass Pro will not acquire Sportsman’s Warehouse

HughW2

Regulators ruled that BassPro cannot acquire Sportsman’s Warehouse.
I believe this is good for hunters and fishermen. We have seen what happened to Cabelas after BassPro took them over.
Should help to keep the market competitive; anytime you have only one dominant player prices go up.
I just wish Sportsman’s had some stores in GA; they have two in TN, three in SC and a few in NC.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Tell us again what’s wrong with Bass Pro?

James12

Oh thank goodness!

Bass Pro ruins everything it acquired and we need competition against them.

Lots of investors and politics involved in those big mergers. Tucker Carlson did a segment on the Cabelas merger and how it killed the little town of Sydney, dogging a big investor. The investor later responded saying he helped them. It’s on YouTube and online. But yea, big money, big losers. Sad world. Hard to be a successful small guy anymore.

turkeyhuntinfool

I will tell you what is wrong with Bass Pro. Bass Pro stopped carrying Mossy Oak camo clothing. Basically all they sell is their on. Another thing that made me dump them is they never carried 300 ultra mag ammo by any company. Lived until recently 3 miles from the store and haven’t been there in years!!!

Nimrod71

As a retired businessman with 57 years of experience in sporting goods and gun sales I can tell you the problem is customers wanting to save every penny they can / or think they are. I have seen many hunting/fishing stores come and go and most of them closed because local residents wouldn't support them. A lot of the locals would travel many miles to save $25 to $50 on a scope or a $100 or so on a rifle/shotgun. Most failed to count the added cost of the trip. This is a local issue I know, I just wanted to put it in.

The post is on Bas Pro and national corporate business. In this regard the average hunter/fisherman doesn't count, these are number businesses. High sales numbers and profit margin and return on investment and equity are the driving issues, not the customer. These large corporations know it is all in the marketing. Like and old saying a Hebrew man once told me with the right marketing you can sale just about anything. He was right, I got in the weight loss business one time and let me till you people will pay to lose weight. People are still falling for this today. We as hunters/fishermen fall in the same category - New Camo, New Rifle Calibers, New Stands, New Baits and so on. These corps. know this and are all the time marketing the newest and better. I know a 6.5 C.M will kill a deer better than a 260 Rem.

The big corporations are no different than the fish in the sea, the bigger ones eat the smaller ones and all the time getting bigger. I started buying from Gander Mountain in 1970 and Cabela's in 73 and several other smaller outfitters now they are all gone.

Now I say let the big corporations have at it, the market will take care of them. No Business is too big to fail and they all do just give them time. Remember Sears in its day was like Wal Mart. Sears was a great organization and had a great marketing plan. Sears started in 1892 and had stores all over the United States even here in Vidalia. In the 70's Sears was the Largest Retailer in the U.S. Now it has gone Bankrupt. All things have a being and an End.

What we Hunters/Fishermen need is more Local Hunting/Fishing/Gun Stores. However, to do this we must do our part in supporting our local team. Stop ordering online or driving miles out of town, buy local. As I have said before retail sales is a volume business the more your local store buys the cheaper they can sale the products.

In the end Bass Pro will either be bought out or they will start loseing market share and profit leading to their end. All things change only our Lord Jesus Christ is forever.

Everyone have a Wonderful Christmas and remember Jesus is the reason for the Season. Shop local a much as you can.

7 point

I went to bass pro a few months ago to get my dad a new pair of snake boots the staff looked like school kids and had very little knowledge. We went to a local private shop in lake city Florida and got great service and pair boots .

earlthegoat2

I tend to think what we all know as the “old Cabelas” would presently be a similar to what we now know as the current Bass Pro. Nothing lasts.

Either way, I am glad they are not going to have any part in the future of Sportsman’s Warehouse.

Gbr5pb

Last time at local Cabela’s went in and walked out with nothing! Poor selection and very expensive