Good night, sweet trail cam

Woodshound

I came to pick you up today, swap out your batteries and pull your memory card, then leave you again for the next several months to your duty on that remote ridge, overlooking the likely game trail. But you didn’t light up when I put in new batteries and after some experimentation, I realized you had shuffled off this mortal coil forever.

I cycled through the stages of grief almost instantly, starting with bargaining – had I tried the wrong batteries? Were they in the wrong way? Was the hatch closed? And then anger: how is this cam dead already? It’s only three years old!

But then I thought for a bit and quieted down as I approached acceptance – you were gone and there was nothing to do but remember the good times.

In fairness, your life was short and punishing: exposed to the elements in brutal conditions, clinging to the mast for months at a time, alone on the sides of steep pitches, and lashed by the mountain weather in unforgiving wilderness.

So thank you, WildView – may you enjoy your eternal rest perched over green hills and a rushing river. You deserve it after that summer when I pointed you at the creek seeps and, unable to close your sleepless eye, you stared into the business ends of hundreds of hog butts for four long, burning, terrible months. All tears in rain now.

May you be delivered to a sky as beautifully blue as that autumn morning in Cohutta after the raccoon violated your insides, set you from picture to video, left your access panel hanging open, pointed you nearly straight up, and you captured hundreds of videos of the wind gently blowing the autumn foliage until your memory card filled up.

Sleep well, sweet trail camera.

Geestring

I came to pick you up today, swap out your batteries and pull your memory card, then leave you again for the next several months to your duty on that remote ridge, overlooking the likely game trail. But you didn’t light up when I put in new batteries and after some experimentation, I realized you had shuffled off this mortal coil forever.

I cycled through the stages of grief almost instantly, starting with bargaining – had I tried the wrong batteries? Were they in the wrong way? Was the hatch closed? And then anger: how is this cam dead already? It’s only three years old!

But then I thought for a bit and quieted down as I approached acceptance – you were gone and there was nothing to do but remember the good times.

In fairness, your life was short and punishing: exposed to the elements in brutal conditions, clinging to the mast for months at a time, alone on the sides of steep pitches, and lashed by the mountain weather in unforgiving wilderness.

So thank you, WildView – may you enjoy your eternal rest perched over green hills and a rushing river. You deserve it after that summer when I pointed you at the creek seeps and, unable to close your sleepless eye, you stared into the business ends of hundreds of hog butts for four long, burning, terrible months. All tears in rain now.

May you be delivered to a sky as beautifully blue as that autumn morning in Cohutta after the raccoon violated your insides, set you from picture to video, left your access panel hanging open, pointed you nearly straight up, and you captured hundreds of videos of the wind gently blowing the autumn foliage until your memory card filled up.

Sleep well, sweet trail camera.
I have lost many trail cams along the way myself. Some were stolen , some died young, some lived a good long life but I never ever thought about writing a eulogy for them.. That’s good stuff, thanks for the humor during this worst part of the offseason.

Woodshound

I have lost many trail cams along the way myself. Some were stolen , some died young, some lived a good long life but I never ever thought about writing a eulogy for them.. That’s good stuff, thanks for the humor during this worst part of the offseason.

You're welcome... and it is the worst part of the off-season... drives a man to downright literary lengths.

It was a long bushwhack out of where I had left it and a long drive home, so I had plenty of time to compose as I went.

Worlldbeater

Us Trail Camera Junkies love our cams and hate to see them die. They have shown us so much that happened when we could not be there. Trail cams have evolved so much since you had to load them with film and then get it developed just to see what was there. Wonder what they will be capable of in 10+ years

Geestring

Us Trail Camera Junkies love our cams and hate to see them die. They have shown us so much that happened when we could not be there. Trail cams have evolved so much since you had to load them with film and then get it developed just to see what was there. Wonder what they will be capable of in 10+ years
I do not miss the film days at all. I can remember going to get the pictures developed and being so excited only to see 23 pictures of coons and one crow. The SD cards saved the day…

Jim Boyd

Sweet eulogy!

bilgerat

Senior
Thats a awesome read, thanks for making me chuckle this morn. My first trail cam was a plastic case that you stuck a kodak one time use 35mm film cam in and ran a string across the trail, when an animal walked down the trail and thru the string it would activate the trigger on the cam and take a pic. It was so exciting to go check it to see if the string was down. It meant there was 1 pic on the cam!!!

Woodshound

Thats a awesome read, thanks for making me chuckle this morn. My first trail cam was a plastic case that you stuck a kodak one time use 35mm film cam in and ran a string across the trail, when an animal walked down the trail and thru the string it would activate the trigger on the cam and take a pic. It was so exciting to go check it to see if the string was down. It meant there was 1 pic on the cam!!!

You're welcome... I rigged up a contraption like you're describing from a Polaroid my parents had and farm clutter when I was a kid (70s/80s). Pretty sure I got the inspiration from a Ranger Rick magazine.

The mousetrap was too rickety to persist through wind and had to be taken down if it was going to rain, etc, but in an effort to maximize opportunity, I walked up and down a creek after a rainstorm, looking for animal prints in the mud as a likely spot to put the camera - which ended up being way more interesting than the camera. I'd go out after rain with a notepad and draw and measure the prints I found, etc. Gateway drug stuff for general fascination with the wilderness that leads us all here.