Got my diagnosis today.

Darkhorse

I haven't said much about it but for some time I've been having big problems. Bad back. My left leg goes lifeless and down I go, hard. This is just one thing, there are others.
My wife and I was talking about it, I had some big gifted students when I was teaching Tae Kwon Do and they all want to spar with the instructor. Those big guys can hit and kick with a lot of power and a couple of weeks of it really beat me down. Especially the blocking arm. And I got numerous shots in that arm.
I messed with a lot of horses. I would train the nasty ones and try and fix the problems bad handling had caused. I broke my share also and ate dirt a lot.Those horses got their licks in too. I used to play a lot of softball. A lot. I played on a couple of teams at once plus a tournament team. Some weekends I played 5 or more games a day.
We decided all of it had taken a toll and really beat up my body. Like the time a student kicked me in the back with a flying side kick. And I'll be 70 this fall.
I can't walk anymore without a rollator or a walker. My wife won't let me drive. And the pain is bad and getting worse. I can't hunt. Or hold a heavy gun. So I finally went to a surgeon.

It seems I have 2 major problems in the lumbar region of my back. One I had self diagnosed, the second came as a surprise.
All this has been going on for a long time, getting plenty of time to get worse.
I started out with X Rays, then a MRI, this one showed I had a real problem with my back. So he ordered a mylogram and a emg, nerve test.
So the nurse came in first and delivered the news. I have spinal stenosis, thats where the spinal column closes up on the inside and restricts the nerves, blood vessels etc. I also have scoliosis (spelling?) in my extreme lower back. This is where the spine is twisted. Mine twists in 2 directions. They can't figure how that happened.
Then the Dr. came in and said, We are going to open up the spine and relieve the stenosis, hopefully that will relieve most of the pain and get you back walking again. But the spine is twisted in such a way that there is no good way to fix it.
Then I asked when I could start fishing and hunting. He said "Ask me next fall."
So they started right off getting permission from the Insurance Co. And doing other things to get me scheduled for surgery. They will call me when they need something from me.
Sounds like fun don't it.

GeorgiaBob

My prayers for your progress have been said, and I'll repeat them. Not because God wasn't listening the first time. Because I am familiar with painful, debilitating, damage to the body, and as I pray I am also remembering that prayers ARE answered. Better get your hunting gear ready!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You will be in the prayers from here. Keep us posted on how things are progressing for you. I hope they will be able to get you fixed up well enough to enjoy life again. Pain can be a real bummer.

Reactions: Dub

DOUG 281

GOD will do his part my Friend. It won't be easy or pain free but you will need to do your part. GOD BLESS

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Sorry to hear about your back, I’ve pretty much dodged that bullet so far.

pjciii

You will be in my prayers. I hurt reading about all Those injuries. I really your prognosis is as good as the Doctor is.

BriarPatch99

I (the Wife) know exactly what you are dealing with ... eleven surgeries (back) ...five or six different sets of rods and screws .... since 1994 .... double curve ...backwards "S" ....fused from T3 down including the Sacrum ....

Prayers for you and your wife ...

Mars

Spine pain ain't no fun at all. I've got 2 cervical spine surgeries under my belt and have some mild stenosis and arthritis so I can relate. Take care of yourself and I'll be praying for you and your wife.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to hear it. I hope they get you fixed up and back to normal life soon.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I know your pain. Best of luck.

My lower back stenosis has digressed to the point of being labeled as “severe stenosis” as of my 2021 mri. I am still trying to manage with the epidurals.

Hoss

Hope they can clear up your pain. Prayers for you. Getting old brings back all those minor pains of your youth and turns em into major pains.

Jester896

Senior Clown
hope you get your pain in control soon

I have had some issues myself...check hurts ...big toe numb..some kind of temporary paralysis once...still no injections

Steven037

Definitely in our prayers. For pain relief and healing. Stay positive. You’ll be back at it in no time.

rmp

I'm hoping the best for you. Keep a positive attitude. Keep us updated as you mend.

Dub

Prayers for you being in skillful hands and gaining the benefits of reduced pain and nerve troubles.

There are some amazing things they can do to get you some relief.

Spine surgery behind me a few years now and stenosis will have to be addressed according to the doc. Past fun & future fun.

sleepr71

Good luck my man. It takes a while to heal & get going again. If Hunting season is your goal…the sooner,the better.