Gov Kemp signs bill legalizing CVA 40 caliber muzzleloader

Ray357

AWOL
Repeat after me
“Hunter opportunity”
Repeat it until that’s your answer to everything hunting season related

Why do we have WMA’s that are open year round to anything you can imagine instead of actually managed ?
why do we have multiple deer seasons?
Why do we not change seasons/bag limits in the face of overwhelming evidence we need to change them?
Why does deer season last half the year?
Repeat as needed .
No where in there is the answer to my question. What year did muzzleloader season start in GA.
Muzzleloader season actually limits opportunity compared to opening general firearms season a week early.

If they are going to allow crossbows during archery season they might as well make this minor change for muzzleloader season. Besides, most people have never killed a deer over 100 yards with a rifle in GA.

Crossbows during archery season has 500X the impact that this rule change has. So I dont see it as a huge game changer.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If they are going to allow crossbows during archery season they might as well make this minor change for muzzleloader season. Besides, most people have never killed a deer over 100 yards with a rifle in GA.

Crossbows during archery season has 500X the impact that this rule change has. So I dont see it as a huge game changer.

And crossbows didn't really have a big effect on harvest overall. This change will have zero measurable effect on deer harvest which is why I supported it when asked. As a biologist I don't care what you hunt them with as long as I know how many were killed. If I held the magic wand we wouldn't have a primitive weapons season, but it's not up to me.

Darkhorse

I signed a petition in the early 70's asking for a muzzleloader season. The guys pushing this all shot flintlocks and caplocks. For whatever reason it fell through. About the time inlines became prolific, maybe 35 or 40 years ago the first ML season was finally set.
I seldom hunt the special ML season as I hunt with my flintlock all during the regular deer season. I own 2 flintlocks that I built, one is a .40 caliber I built for Turkeys, the other is a .54 I built for deer and hogs. I did not like the idea of using a .40 for deer, still don't, as the ball is too light and small. Even if .40's were legal I still would not use mine for deer as I feel it's irresponsible.
Turkeys are another matter though as the .40 round ball is an excellent killer of big gobblers. I have taken several with mine.
As for deer I think the .54 is the best caliber for deer in Georgia. I only use patched round balls in both rifles.
I think a hunter should use whatever he/she wants to use as long as it's legal. And that hunter should feel secure in that we all have their 6. And that's for the good of the sport.

lampern

Correct me if I am wrong but this new long range 40 caliber rifle can be legally used on turkeys in Ga?

Darkhorse

The last regulations I read would make this new long range .40 caliber legal for turkeys in Georgia.
However I have no idea what changes in the regs this new rifle might cause. The days of properly classifying a muzzle loader are long gone. The same regs that apply to me and one of my flintlocks also apply to scoped inlines capable of accurate shooting far beyond what I can accomplish with a round ball and open sights. It's not just Georgia either, just try and land a ML tag in Illinois or a Bull Elk tag in Colorado, a flintlock hunter stands very little chance of being drawn.
At least I never did and I tried a lot.

lampern

I figured the regulation of limiting rifles for turkeys to muzzleloading rifles was a safety issue and guns like this make that questionable anymore.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've used a .45 and it knocks a buck dead. Longest shot so far was about 80 yards.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Correct me if I am wrong but this new long range 40 caliber rifle can be legally used on turkeys in Ga?
Scoped muzzleloaders have been legal for turkeys in Georgia for a long time
Can’t recall ever seeing someone hunt with one and I’ve checked probably hundreds of turkey hunters.
I’ve actually checked more people hunting illegally with deer rifles than legally with scoped muzzleloaders

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

This law change didn't affect turkeys at all. You've always been able to use muzzleloaders for turkeys as Throwback said, but there was never a caliber restriction for them like there was for deer and bear.

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-4
(5) It shall be unlawful to hunt turkey with any weapons except shotguns using No. 2 shot or smaller, muzzleloading firearms, longbows, crossbows, recurve bows, or compound bows. Any person taking turkey in violation of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor, except that a fine imposed for such violation shall not be less than $250.00;

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So 562 was really just a broader caliber range of muzzleloaders and CVA took advantage of the bill to do a PR event? Is that how to read this?

HB362 was a bill that codifies all the DNR regulations, it's something that has to be done each year and sometimes they will add a few other items to it but usually nothing of great significance. The muzzleloader caliber change was one of those things. They probably reached out to some key legislators and made the request for the change. The legislators then deferred to DNR to weigh in on the impacts to wildlife and hunting. Being that it primarily impacted deer, the question came to me and I supported the change because there was no reason to object to it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
HB362 was a bill that codifies all the DNR regulations, it's something that has to be done each year and sometimes they will add a few other items to it but usually nothing of great significance. The muzzleloader caliber change was one of those things. They probably reached out to some key legislators and made the request for the change. The legislators then deferred to DNR to weigh in on the impacts to wildlife and hunting. Being that it primarily impacted deer, the question came to me and I supported the change because there was no reason to object to it.
thank you ! ???

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It’s nice to know the big dogs in state government ?