GPS ?????

Stump Shooter

I know this has been asked but would like new input on a new GPS, looking at a good, easy user friendly model. While pig hunting yesterday with Will not to get into to many details because the pig was not recovered. I turned my GPS on which is about 10 years old and hit the Go To function to get back to where he had shot the pig. It had already been dark for a while and select my way point and the alarm goes off stating approaching way point, I looked at Will and said Oh Crap! Long story short used my compass to get us close and found a road and made it out ok. I did save the location properly. Was on a WMA not familiar with and I think according to Verizon we covered between 5 and 6 miles yesterday. I assure you a lot of that was in the dark because I missed the way point and was not familiar with the roads. Soooo your thoughts on a good one that is user friendly, simple controls, good price point and good battery life would be a plus.

Cavalry Scout

I have a Garmin Etrex 20. Replaced a 15 year old unit. Easy to use, cost is not bad and you can download maps for free

splatek

UAEC
I know a lot of folks have been using phone apps.
If you have almost any smart phone, apps like GAIAgps, ON X hunt, etc will allow you to put in way points and even track your movement.
If kept in sleep mode they do not look for a cell or wifi signal and if you also put in low battery/battery save mode, the battery will last for the better part of an entire day.

I have no experience with REAL GPSs, I use GAIA GPS and it's gotten me in and out of some nasty places. I also carry a pretty hefty external charger ... just in case the battery starts to drain too fast. My 2 cents.

beretta

I use ONX hunt and turn on airplane mode and have no issues with battery life while I am hunting. Just download the area you want to hunt beforehand if your cell phone coverage is spotty.

Hillbilly stalker

I have 3 GPS , Garmin Alpha 100 , Garmin Map 60cx (X2) . All are good and are easy to use. Unless I'm dog hunting (squirrel,coon) I just use Gaia GPS app on my phone. It works great, simple to use and is around $30. I carry a spare external battery ( Wal mart $4) that is re chargeable. The phone app is the way to go unless you just want to use 2 seperate units, which means you have to keep up with both and keep both charged. I have Onx on my phone also, but Gaia loads faster and tracks better and is easier to use. Gaia works off both U.S and Russian satellite , no phone signal is required.

Stump Shooter

Thanks for the replies, I have settled on the Garmin GPS Map 64ST, In addition i will be looking at Gaia GPS ap sounds like a good addition, I already have extra battery, or external battery. Good information just always thought I needed cell service for those aps to work, and never gave them much thought, not the sharpest when it comes to electronics. Thanks.

Hillbilly stalker

Don't know if yall's aware of a " Mophie". I just found out about them the other day. It's a case for your phone that will charge your phone 3-4 times while your out and about away from a charger. That would be handy if your out there and drain your battery. It looks like a normal phone case, can't tell the difference , $40 on the web charge it once...it charges your phone 3-4 times. Hi -Tech redneck:fine:

splatek

UAEC
I'm just an ol' compass guy. I carry 2 in case I think 1 is lying to me.

I love this!
I have been working on my compass..."skills" for the last few seasons backcountry fly fishing. Good thing about being in/around a stream is that if you remember even vaguely where you get in, you can usually follow it back down stream.
I've also been trying to teach lil man about using a compass. A few of his buddies saw his compass and asked him if it was a plastic GPS? ugh...
I always carry a compass and on my last couple back country hunts I tried to use it exclusively until I got that feeling that I was off, that slight anxiety and then I double checked my phone app.

Hillbilly stalker

How do use a compass in the big swamps where you cannot triangulate, shoot an azimuth or back azimuth. Or see something for a point of reference ? I have always wondered this. I even went to our Natinal Guard/ Reserve units and asked their "Land Navigation Instructor ". He shrugged his shoulders. I also asked " The compass guy " online. No answer...surely someone knows, it cannot be much different than navigation in a Jungle. The mountains are a whole different ball game .....you can see terrain features.

strothershwacker

How do use a compass in the big swamps where you cannot triangulate, shoot an azimuth or back azimuth. Or see something for a point of reference ? I have always wondered this. I even went to our Natinal Guard/ Reserve units and asked their "Land Navigation Instructor ". He shrugged his shoulders. I also asked " The compass guy " online. No answer...surely someone knows, it cannot be much different than navigation in a Jungle. The mountains are a whole different ball game .....you can see terrain features.
Worst I ever been turned round was in a cypress swamp.

Clipper

Unless I know the area by heart and which direction roads and creeks run, I take a map that shows those features. I know which direction I walked from the road, which direction the road runs, and can use the compass to tell me which direction to walk to find the road. I may come out several hundred yards from the truck but I do find the road. That said, since I lost my short term memory I don't leave the truck without my GPS, spare batteries, AND MY COMPASS.

kingfish

I'm kind of like Clipper here, I just use a compass to make sure I can get out of the woods. I spend a ton of time on Google Earth so in my mind I have an idea of what the big picture is. Just before I leave the truck, get my compass and I'll know which direction gets me out to a road. I just got a Garmin 64, so I'm looking forward to figuring that out and using it to get to some of the way in areas.

Hillbilly stalker

I've got a buddy that spent some quality time in Special Forces....he is awesome with a compass. He stops periodically and Checks it. The place we hunt is 27,000 acres of flat, flooded swamps and it has sand roads going every direction. We killed 2 hogs one night in the swamp 1/2 -3/4 miles from the truck. He brought us out within 40-50 yards of the truck, back to the second hog , back to the truck. It would take along time and a lot of practice for most people to acquire his skill set. I took the simpler route and bought 2 GPS, one for back up when the 1st one knocks off. That being said, last time me and Jerry met up to hunt, he was toting a Garmin. I would say it's easier to learn and you don't have to rely on your memory ( mine anyways) and you don't have to buy maps. If you get down and hurt, it would be easier to relay the grid coordinates. I envy you guys with the compass skills tho, it's becoming a lost art. (y)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to use one all the time coon hunting in the flatlands. As you said, it's impossible to do precision stuff at night on flat land, but you always park on a road. I would note which headings the road ran, and note the direction that the creek was going (you're usually turning out on a creek coon hunting,) and the way I originally went in. With just that info, combined with noting landmarks as you go, you can get back to the creek and/or road you're parked on. At night in flat country after you chase dogs around here and there, and circle a tree several times looking for a coon, it's easy to get turned around without a compass.