Great Documentary

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I guess snakes just don't scare me much.

I was about 4-5 at my first encounter with a big rattler. Mom and I were picking blackberries. I walked up on big rock pile and the rattler was sunning on top of it. It took to buzzing and she grabbed me and ran. I wasn’t poisoned but was streaked with blood from mom dragging me out of that thicket.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was about 4-5 at my first encounter with a big rattler. Mom and I were picking blackberries. I walked up on big rock pile and the rattler was sunning on top of it. It took to buzzing and she grabbed me and ran. I wasn’t poisoned but was streaked with blood from mom dragging me out of that thicket.
I've run into a lot of rattlesnakes over the years. Exactly 0 of them were aggressive. They can bite you if you're about two-three feet away from them, maybe. Other than that, they're harmless.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I've run into a lot of rattlesnakes over the years. Exactly 0 of them were aggressive. They can bite you if you're about two-three feet away from them, maybe. Other than that, they're harmless.

The few I’ve seen were not aggressive. Biting at my waders after accidentally stepped would have my attention.

More folks got bad bites by copperheads than any other snakes back then.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The few I’ve seen were not aggressive. Biting at my waders after accidentally stepped would have my attention.

More folks got bad bites by copperheads than any other snakes back then.
Yep, I know several people who go copperhead bit. Mostly on the hands pulling weeds and picking stuff in the garden or picking up brush or lumber offf the ground. None of them died.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep, I know several people who go copperhead bit. Mostly on the hands pulling weeds and picking stuff in the garden or picking up brush or lumber offf the ground. None of them died.

A bunch of them old cellars dug back into a bank had shelves with the bottom one just off the ground. Copperheads would get in through I’ll fitted doors. Folks would get bit low while getting stuff from the cellar.

turkeykirk

I guess snakes just don't scare me much.

I’m not scared of them. Just don’t want to step on one in the dark and have it hitting my waders.:biggrin2:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, Joe H and Ray Ball are probably the the two I'd most like to share a hole with that are still living. I enjoyed watching him pick apart those small "cricks".
I just wish somebody had filmed Uncle Mark.

trout maharishi

It's a good one. I think I watched in on Amazon. Got to know Joe a little bit when I was doing the demo fly tying at the fly fishing shows, WNC Expos, and at Troutfest in Townsend TN. He's a great guy, always willing to help. I was lucky enough to sneak off with him, Capt Dave Chouinard, and George Daniel one afternoon at Troutfest. I never knew I wasn't adding enough weight to my nymphs until that afternoon. George Daniel is the best fisherman I have ever fished with. It was humbling. I did a lot more watching and listening than I did talking and fishing that afternoon.

I took Joe’s fly-fishing class in 1986 at Penn State. Several times Joe would take our class to learn on clear streams in the area. We used to challenge Joe, by picking a specific fish in the stream and see if Joe could catch it. I remember our class lost the challenge every time. A few years later, the last time I saw Joe, he said he was retiring to go after record brown trout in Arkansas. I hope to see him again some day, maybe at a fishing show.
Watched a really good one today- Live the Stream: The Story of Joe Humphreys. It was really interesting. He was 87 when they made it several years ago, and was still fishing about every day, climbing trees to deer hunt, and such. He is a true legend and national treasure. From what I can google, he's still at it at 93.

It's streaming on several platforms, I found it free on Tubi.

Concrete Pete

I believe Joe was also an all American wrestler.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

35 Whelen

Amazing gentleman. Watched it on Pluto TV yesterday.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Joe Humphreys taught a lot of folks through books, video and instruction at Penn State. One nugget I took from him was the "tuck cast." Heckuva fisherman. Living on one of the premier eastern private water trout streams was a rare opportunity for his talents. His unselfish willingness to share his knowledge sets him above most. Even more influential in the modern fly fishing movement was Joe Brooks who died in 1972 and is buried outside of Livingston, Mt.. Unfortunately there is a paywall to the video. his influence was worldwide. Despite the cost, I rented it and it reminded me so much of what he did for the sport and his influence on my lifetime path to fly fishing.
https://www.joebrooksdocumentary.com/ It was well worth the cost for me to watch the documentary. Gil

Last edited: