Great white shark population rebounding

jdgator

Apparently the world population of white sharks is rebounding.

Article

Not gonna lie. I kinda like the apex species when I scuba dive. But a healthy ocean is always good.

sinclair1

Been ordered out quite a bit the last few years. For some reason, yelling it’s just bluefish gets the evil eye

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
It wouldn`t surprise me that the population was never in danger. It`s just since OSEARCH has been catching and tagging them that they are really learning their habits and wanderings. Personally I`d be more worried about getting hit by a bull before a white.

jdgator

It wouldn`t surprise me that the population was never in danger. It`s just since OSEARCH has been catching and tagging them that they are really learning their habits and wanderings. Personally I`d be more worried about getting hit by a bull before a white.

Yes sir, I’ve heard bull sharks and tiger sharks are meanies.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Yes sir, I’ve heard bull sharks and tiger sharks are meanies.

If it hasn`t been done already, the bull shark is fixing to get moved to the top of the list as the most dangerous shark out there. Plus they run up rivers a good bit, and can live in fresh water full time.

sinclair1

If it hasn`t been done already, the bull shark is fixing to get moved to the top of the list as the most dangerous shark out there. Plus they run up rivers a good bit, and can live in fresh water full time.
Seems I heard that just this week during a story on the news.

HermanMerman

If I had it all to do over again, I would have studied marine biology and concentrated on sharks. They are the most amazing creatures on this planet.

Big7

The Oracle
Seems like a lot more people getting bit swimming nowadays.

I used to hang out at Big Pier 60 and it was crowded. Swam way out a lot. Younger and in shape then. You would hear about attacks around Maderia Beach and Indian Rocks but I can't remember hearing about one in Clearwater proper.

Them bites look nasty on the news reels.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Bull sharks spend a lot of their time hunting in real shallow water. They pin their prey to sandbars and drop offs along grass flats which is where humans come in contact with them. Not sure how many of the bites on humans are intentional, or just a result of them chasing prey where a person just gets in the way.

One of my good fishing buddies had a stringer of trout and redfish removed from his belt while wade fishing one day several years ago. He said he saw the shark coming, but it happened so fast that he had zero time to react. Fortunately for him the shark grabbed the biggest redfish on the stringer and broke it where it was tied to his wading belt. Long scary slog back to the boat!

Robert28

Bull sharks are persistent when they attack, they ain’t gonna stop usually. Tigers are just too curious for their own good.

Big7

The Oracle
Been a lot on the holiday news different beaches around the country reporting sharks and issuing warnings.

They just say "shark". Maybe folks can't identify the species. IDK?

Bonnet Head, Mako, Black Tip and Thresher make for some good eating and can be easily caught in Florida and Georgia.