Green River DH NC

Has anyone fished the DH section of the Green River in NC? Planning on trying it the end of the month. Any recommendations for flies or steamer patterns are greatly appreciated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've fished it a few times. Kind of marginal compared to a lot of NC streams. Any general stocker flies work.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Because its marginal trout water they stocked smallmouth bass in there and you can now catch smallmouth up and down the river
I would say it's the other way around-the smallmouth are there naturally and they stocked the trout. Almost every sizeable creek or river in western NC has a natural population of native smallmouth below the trout line, and a ways up into the trout line. It also runs into Lake Adger, which is a good bass and muskie lake that the fish run up out of.

nc dawg

State record Muskie came out of Adger. Big 41#water wolf
and they love trout.lotta smallmouth in the river too and good many trout as well.

lampern

I would say it's the other way around-the smallmouth are there naturally and they stocked the trout. Almost every sizeable creek or river in western NC has a natural population of native smallmouth below the trout line, and a ways up into the trout line. It also runs into Lake Adger, which is a good bass and muskie lake that the fish run up out of.

Smallmouth bass are not native to the eastern slope of the NC mountains.

Neither are muskie.

They were introduced by the NC wildlife folks I'm guessing back when Lake Adger was impounded in the 1940s.

Muskies are still stocked into the lake

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Smallmouth bass are not native to the eastern slope of the NC mountains.

Neither are muskie.

They were introduced by the NC wildlife folks I'm guessing back when Lake Adger was impounded in the 1940s.

Muskies are still stocked into the lake
I stand corrected. Looks like the smallmouth only occur naturally on the west side of the divide, which runs right at the head of the Green.

Concrete Pete

What’s the musky fishing like? Do any reproduce naturally?

lampern

No they don't but the lake has produced several fish over 40 pounds.

Its stocked every other year or something like that.

You can't use a motor over 60 hp on Lake Adger and to fish the river above the lake you can float with a kayak

Its within a days drive from the Atlanta area.

Unfortunately spotted bass have gotten in that lake and may change it for the worse.

Last edited:

Concrete Pete

No they don't but the lake has produced several fish over 40 pounds.

Its stocked every other year or something like that.

You can't use a motor over 60 hp on Lake Adger and to fish the river above the lake you can float with a kayak

Its within a days drive from the Atlanta area.

Unfortunately spotted bass have gotten in that lake and may change it for the worse.
Cool. I’d like to catch a musky.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not in Adger that I know of, but they do in the French Broad River, Fontana Lake/Little T system, and a few other places in western NC. There is some excellent Musky Fishing here, especially in the French Broad.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Sorry.. but there's only 1 Green River... I clicked on Green River.. sorry.. didn't see NC until after.....
10459924_628722297219463_5034032112857069957_n.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
People talk about them like they’re super hard to catch.
I don't think it's that they're that much harder to catch than other fish, there's just a lot less of them and they're way scattered out.