Grouse

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to see two or three a day. Now I see two or three a year.

coveyrise

I would never shoot one. Not enough to even justify having a season in Georgia or North Carolina really. Does anyone know if there was an increase in grouse numbers around the smoky mountains after the fires years ago. I know they seeded the hills with brown top millet to keep erosion down with helicopters. Looked like the perfect forest floor after that. Would have been some good bugging cover for chicks.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I haven’t seen a grouse in the wild for years. Last one was in WNC in 2016 at my father’s funeral.

tucker80

They're still around in southern Appalachia, just gotta burn the boot leather. I hunt NC. The hot spots seem to be small but hold huntable populations. Just have to be smart and disciplined not to strain those areas too much. Get one and move on leaving them be.
They sure ain't in the front yard though! That ain't even right!

Resica

They're still around in southern Appalachia, just gotta burn the boot leather. I hunt NC. The hot spots seem to be small but hold huntable populations. Just have to be smart and disciplined not to strain those areas too much. Get one and move on leaving them be.
They sure ain't in the front yard though! That ain't even right!
It's only the 3rd one I've seen in the yard at camp in 13 years. First one on the cam, been waiting for that. Now I need an Elk and a fisher.