Growing frustrated with staining maple

SarahFair

I have never come across suck a stubborn piece of wood!

I worked a whole day to lift scratches and water stains out of a vintage vanity. When I went to stain it with Varathanes 'carrington' it came out very light (not to mention a tad on the blothched side, which Im more inclined to live with).
Even after 3 coats the color stayed the same.

Im in the process of sanding it down now with 100grit and giving it another go.
Ive tried letting a thicker layer "soak", but after 5 minutes it becomes a sticky mess

Any tips on getting the stain to take as dark as its supposed to?

godogs57

A trick I've use with staining maple is to use leather dye instead of wood stain. It penetrates much better and more "even". I've read about lots of folks using leather dye instead of traditional stain on maple...I wasn't the first to think of that trick. It sure does work good though!

SarahFair

Will it give me the dark color I need?

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
This has worked for me. Use a blackish stain such as Minwax's Jacobean. Put a light coat on surface and wipe it off. Allow to dry and then go over with your chosen stain.

Best to have a test piece to experiment on. If you don't have one, go by a cabinet shop and ask for a piece of scrap.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Maple is notoriously difficult to stain evenly. It varies in how it absorbs the stain. That is why some use a dye.

The wood is sealed then the die is applied over the sealer. It is like painting but has more of the stained look.