Hardwood bottom regrowth

Hcoleman

Hello, was wondering if any could help with this question. We just purchased 264 acres in South Georgia, most of it is younger pines with a mix of 23 year old loblolly and 25 year old long leaf pine but there’s a hardwood creek that runs through the center of it that was clear cut about 25 years ago. How long does regrowth take for a turkey to roost in it or use it again. I have not been able to do much scouting on the place.

buckpasser

Hello, was wondering if any could help with this question. We just purchased 264 acres in South Georgia, most of it is younger pines with a mix of 23 year old loblolly and 25 year old long leaf pine but there’s a hardwood creek that runs through the center of it that was clear cut about 25 years ago. How long does regrowth take for a turkey to roost in it or use it again. I have not been able to do much scouting on the place.

I’ve got a hardwood bottom at my home that was cleared around 35 years ago. 20 years ago it was dog hair hardwoods. I didn’t go in there for years but l went this year for a survey line and it’s actually nice turkey habitat. Mostly water oaks, but I’ll take it. Yesterday morning there were Toms tearing it up down there, so it’s definitely old enough now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
For hard mast I`d rather have water oaks and swamp chestnut oaks than all the others combined. Everything can and will eat water oak acorns and they nearly always have a good crop that lasts longer than the other oaks. They are excellent for turkeys, wood ducks, and quail. Deer eat em too.