Help! Computer/Internet Problem

DannyW

My old laptop died and I am using my wife's old laptop. (HP Pavillion, Windows 10, i5@2300mhz, 6 gigs of memory, 700MB HD and a Linksys external AE3000 network adapter.)

I connect via the house WiFi wireless network. On my old computer I had no issues connecting to internet (wirelessly) and consistently had download speeds of 100+ mbps and uploadspeeds of 10+ mbps. With the replacement computer, I'm lucky to get 5-10 mbps download speeds, and 1-2 mbps upload speeds.

In addition, my connection is intermittent dropping and starting back up all the time. Frustrating!

So far I have tried the following:

- resetting my modem and router 10-15 times
- ran system file checker
- ran ALL the troubleshooting tests included in windows 10
- changed network adapters from the faster external AE300 to the internal Ralink adapter...same behavior
- ran a check memory test
- ran a system check test
- downloaded Norton 360 Pro during a rare time where my internet connection held up long enough, and ran all their diagnostic and troubleshooting tests
- Finally, in an act of desperation, I did a system restore resetting the laptop to it's original factory settings.

And I am still getting 10 mbps download speeds.

From all I have read it's probably a firewall issue, but danged if I can figure it out.

I did sign in and looked at my modem setting but did not change anything. Afterall, it was configured fine for the AE3000 network adapter on my previous computer.

If any of you PC/Network experts out there can offer any help, I would surely appreciate it. I've been dealing with this two weeks now.

pjciii

If you have the installation disk that came with the modem I would rerun it. It should find the old one and ask if you was to replace or overwrite the old. Just say yes. That is the only thing can think of.

Latest posts